Dr Govind K Makharia
( यह ईमेल पता spambots से संरक्षित किया जा रहा है. आप जावास्क्रिप्ट यह देखने के सक्षम होना चाहिए. )
- On Faculty of since 2002, Dept of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition
- Presently, Professor, since 2016
Education and training:MD, DM, DNB
Impact of work
Celiac disease:Thought to be uncommon in India; established that celiac disease is common
- Prevalence of celiac disease in Northern part of India is 1.06% (ICMR Funded)
- Multicenter Pan India prevalence of celiac disease: 0.67% (ICMR initiated Task Force)
- Global prevalence of celiac disease: 0.7% (A systematic review and meta-analysis)
- Prevalence in Asia is 0.6% (Systematic review and meta-analysis) (JGH 2016)
- Prevalence of celiac in first-degree relatives is 7.5% (Systematic review meta-analysis)
- Non-invasive biomarker for detection of villous abnormalities
- Development of new classification system for assessing severity of villous abnormality
IBD, intestinal tuberculosis and other intestinal disorders
- · Differentiation of intestinal tuberculosis and Crohn’s disease
- · Duration of ATT in abdominal tuberculosis (6 months): Forms the basis of RNTCP recent guidelines on extrapulmonary tuberculosis
- · Estimation of population prevalence of IBS in Northern part of India: 4%
- · From National and International agencies (12 projects); ICMR, DBT, DST, ICAR
Guidelines: Formulation of National and Asian Guidelines
- · Indian guidelines on celiac disease (ICMR initiated and funded)
- · Global guidelines on Diet and Gut (Lead role) (World Gastroenterology Organization)
- · Indian Guidelines on ulcerative colitis (Lead role)
- · Indian guidelines on Crohn’s disease (Lead role)
- · Indian guidelines on Imaging of small intestine in Crohn’s disease (Lead role)
- · Asia Pacific guidelines on ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, biologics and biosimilars
- · Asian guidelines on screening of colorectal cancer
- · Asian guidelines on irritable bowel syndrome
- H index: 42
- Total: 259 (PubMed indexed: 213 (Past 5 years: 100 publications); Chapters: 35
- Edited Handbook on celiac disease
- Edited; World Gastroenterology Organization Handbook on Diet and Gut
- · Trained: 70 DM residents, 9 PhD students (Guide 3, co-guide 6)
- Initiated Young Clinician Program in India since 2008; trained almost 800 DM/DNB fellows from all over the country (Research methodology)
- Co-chairman of World Digestive Health Day 2016, World Gastroenterology Organization
- Co-chairman, Global guidelines on “Diet and Gut” by WGO
- Board Member, International Association for the Studies on Celiac Disease (2015-2019)
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology
- Member, Research Committee, World Gastroenterology Organization
- Core Member, Asia Pacific Working Party on Inflammatory Bowel disease,
- Secretary General, Indian Society of Gastroenterology (2016-2019)
- Governing Body member, Central Council for Research in Ayuvedic Sciences,
- Coordinator, Department of Biotechnology-Celiac Disease Consortium
- Coordinator, ISG Task Force on inflammatory bowel disease
- Coordinator, DBT consortium on celiac disease
- Research paper of the year Award, BMJ South East Asia Award
- AIIMS Excellence Award for Best Paper (2012, 2016)
- SR Naik Memorial Award 2010 and 2016, by Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Alkem Om Prakash Memorial Award, 2004 (by Indian Society of Gastroenterology)
- Best paper awards: 10 times
- Sifton Gold Medal (University Gold Medal in MBBS)
Innovation and Patents
- Patents: Applied/granted: 9
- A device for anal incontinence (Marketed)
- Bioscoop liver biopsy needle (Under trial)
- Biomarker for villous abnormalities (CYP 3A4)
Editorial Board and reviewership
- Advisory Board, Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology
- Chief Editor, Gastroenterology Section, Frontiers in Internal Medicine (2012-14)
- Member, Indian Journal Gastroenterology
- Lead Guest Editor, Gastroenterology Practice and Research
- Reviewership for almost 20 journals including Lancet, BMJ, Am J Gastroenterol
Public Education in Health
- Regular participation in Health shows on Doordarshan (DD News, National DD, Kisan channel, Loksabha TV, Urdu channel); Regular participation in health camps
1: Das P, Gahlot GP, Singh A, Baloda V, Rawat R, Verma AK, Khanna G, Roy M, George A, Singh A, Nalwa A, Ramteke P, Yadav R, Ahuja V, Sreenivas V, Gupta SD, Makharia GK. Quantitative histology-based classification system for assessment of the intestinal mucosal histological changes in patients with celiac disease. Intest Res. 2019 Apr 18. doi: 10.5217/ir.2018.00167. [Epub ahead of print].
2: Makharia GK, Catassi C. Celiac Disease in Asia. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2019 Mar; 48(1):101-113.
3: Lindfors K, Ciacci C, Kurppa K, Lundin KEA, Makharia GK, Mearin ML, Murray JA, Verdu EF, Kaukinen K. Coeliac disease. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2019 Jan 10;5(1):3.
4: Acharya P, Kutum R, Pandey R, Mishra A, Saha R, Munjal A, Ahuja V, Mukerji M, Makharia GK. First Degree Relatives of Patients with Celiac Disease Harbour an Intestinal Transcriptomic Signature that Might Protect them from Enterocyte Damage. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2018 Oct 8;9(10):195.
5: Sharma P, Baloda V, Gahlot GP, Singh A, Mehta R, Vishnubathla S, Kapoor K, Ahuja V, Gupta SD, Makharia GK, Das P. Clinical, endoscopic, and histological differentiation between celiac disease and tropical sprue: A systematic review. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Jan;34(1):74-83.
6: Singh P, Arora A, Strand TA, Leffler DA, Catassi C, Green PH, Kelly CP, Ahuja V, Makharia GK. Global Prevalence of Celiac Disease: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Jun;16(6):823-836.
7: Kedia S, Sharma R, Makharia GK, Ahuja V, Desai D, Kandasamy D, Eapen A, Ganesan K, Ghoshal UC, Kalra N, Karthikeyan D, Madhusudhan KS, Philip M, Puri AS, Puri S, Sinha SK, Banerjee R, Bhatia S, Bhat N, Dadhich S, Dhali GK, Goswami BD, Issar SK, Jayanthi V, Misra SP, Nijhawan S, Puri P, Sarkar A, Singh SP, Srivastava A, Abraham P, Ramakrishna BS; for Indian Society of Gastroenterology Task Force on Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Imaging of the small intestine in Crohn's disease: Joint position statement of the Indian Society of Gastroenterology and Indian Radiological and Imaging Association. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2017 Nov;36(6):487-508.
8: Ramakrishna BS, Makharia GK, Chetri K, Dutta S, Mathur P, Ahuja V, Amarchand R, Balamurugan R, Chowdhury SD, Daniel D, Das A, George G, Gupta SD, Krishnan A, Prasad JH, Kaur G, Pugazhendhi S, Pulimood A, Ramakrishna K, Verma AK. Prevalence of Adult Celiac Disease in India: Regional Variations and Associations. Am J Gastroenterol. 2016 Jan;111(1):115-23.
9: Singh P, Arora S, Singh A, Strand TA, Makharia GK. Prevalence of celiac disease in Asia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Jun;31(6):1095-101.
10: Singh P, Arora S, Lal S, Strand TA, Makharia GK. Risk of Celiac Disease in the First- and Second-Degree Relatives of Patients With Celiac Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2015 Nov;110(11):1539-48.
11: See JA, Kaukinen K, Makharia GK, Gibson PR, Murray JA. Practical insights into gluten-free diets. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 Oct;12(10):580-91.
12: Makharia GK, Ghoshal UC, Ramakrishna BS, Agnihotri A, Ahuja V, Chowdhury SD, Gupta SD, Mechenro J, Mishra A, Mishra A, Pathak MK, Pandey RM, Sharma R, Sharma SK. Intermittent Directly Observed Therapy for Abdominal Tuberculosis: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing 6 Months Versus 9 Months of Therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Sep 1;61(5):750-7.
13: Makharia GK. Celiac disease screening in southern and East Asia. Dig Dis. 2015;33(2):167-74.
14: Ramakrishna BS, Makharia GK, Ahuja V, Ghoshal UC, Jayanthi V, Perakath B, Abraham P, Bhasin DK, Bhatia SJ, Choudhuri G, Dadhich S, Desai D, Goswami BD, Issar SK, Jain AK, Kochhar R, Loganathan G, Misra SP, Ganesh Pai C, Pal S, Philip M, Pulimood A, Puri AS, Ray G, Singh SP, Sood A, Subramanian V; Indian Society of Gastroenterology Task Force on Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Indian Society of Gastroenterology consensus statements on Crohn's disease in India. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2015 Jan;34(1):3-22.
15: Makharia GK, Mulder CJ, Goh KL, Ahuja V, Bai JC, Catassi C, Green PH, Gupta SD, Lundin KE, Ramakrishna BS, Rawat R, Sharma H, Sood A, Watanabe C, Gibson PR; World Gastroenterology Organization-Asia Pacific Association of Gastroenterology Working Party on Celiac Disease. Issues associated with the emergence of coeliac disease in the Asia–Pacific region: a working party report of the World Gastroenterology Organization and the Asian Pacific Association of Gastroenterology. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Apr;29(4):666-77.
16: Morón B, Verma AK, Das P, Taavela J, Dafik L, Diraimondo TR, Albertelli MA, Kraemer T, Mäki M, Khosla C, Rogler G, Makharia GK. CYP3A4-catalyzed simvastatin metabolism as a non-invasive marker of small intestinal health in celiac disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013 Aug;108(8):1344-51.
17: Ramakrishna BS, Makharia GK, Abraham P, Ghoshal UC, Jayanthi V, Agarwal BK, Ahuja V, Bhasin DK, Bhatia SJ, Choudhuri G, Dadhich S, Desai DC, Dhali GK, Goswami BD, Issar SK, Jain AK, Kochhar R, Kumar A, Loganathan G, Misra SP, Pai CG, Pal S, Pulimood A, Puri AS, Ramesh GN, Ray G, Singh SP, Sood A, Tandan M; Indian Society of Gastroenterology Task Force on Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Indian Society of Gastroenterology consensus on ulcerative colitis. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2012 Dec;31(6):307-23.
18: Makharia GK, Ramakrishna BS, Abraham P, Choudhuri G, Misra SP, Ahuja V, Bhatia SJ, Bhasin DK, Dadhich S, Dhali GK, Desai DC, Ghoshal UC, Goswami BD, Issar SK, Jain AK, Jayanthi V, Loganathan G, Pai CG, Puri AS, Rana SS, Ray G, Singh SP, Sood A; Indian Society of Gastroenterology Task Force on Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Survey of inflammatory bowel diseases in India. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2012 Dec;31(6):299-306.
19: Makharia GK, Verma AK, Amarchand R, Goswami A, Singh P, Agnihotri A, Suhail F, Krishnan A. Prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome: a community based study from northern India. J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011 Jan;17(1):82-7.
20: Makharia GK, Verma AK, Amarchand R, Bhatnagar S, Das P, Goswami A, Bhatia V, Ahuja V, Datta Gupta S, Anand K. Prevalence of celiac disease in the northern part of India: a community based study. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011 May;26(5):894-900.
21: Makharia GK, Srivastava S, Das P, Goswami P, Singh U, Tripathi M, Deo V, Aggarwal A, Tiwari RP, Sreenivas V, Gupta SD. Clinical, endoscopic, and histological differentiations between Crohn's disease and intestinal tuberculosis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2010 Mar;105(3):642-51.