The Transport Section of AIIMS is also known as the "Main Garage." It provides transport services to the AIIMS. However, the transport services of various centers under AIIMS and the Hospital Section are catered separately.
The section in general looks after the transport facilities for the following:
- Faculty and officers of the AIIMS for official duties, depending on the availability of vehicles.
- Students (medical and nursing) and resident doctors etc. from hostels to the hospital, rural health clinic, urban health clinic and urban health centers etc.
- Vehicles are also run between AIIMS and CRHSP Ballabgarh for transport of faculty, residents and students.
- Vehicles also run between AIIMS and the newly opened facility at Jhajhar, Haryana and AIIMS for transportation of staff, faculty and resident doctors.
- For the convenience of the patients coming to the hospital free tranport facility from the parking area and Dharamshala to the hospital is also provided keeping in view the distance from the main hospital and the parking area.
- Vehicles are also used to transport important equipment, drugs, isotopes etc.
- Members of the official bodies of the institute are also provided vehicles to facilitate them during the official meetings.
- Official guests and external examiners visiting AIIMS are also provided the facility subject to availability of vehicles.
The section has its own fleet of buses and cars augmented by some vehicles hired on contract basis, for various requirements of the AIIMS. Presntly the fleet consists of Cars: 15
Buses (different capacities): 6
Mobile Clinic Van: 1
The number of hired vehicles is variable and dependent on the requirements from time to time.