a. Major O.T Services:
The department of Surgical Oncology has three state of art major operation theaters for performing various kinds of major cancer surgeries . One of the existing operation theater has been renovated for Intra operative Radiotherapy (IOHDR). This technique involves delivery of precise radiation beams to the tumor bearing area during the surgery after tumor removal. All the major operation theatres are well equipped with the whole range of machinery and equipment required to perform various types of complex cancer surgeries involving various organ systems.
a. Minor O.T Services :
The department has a separate Minor O.T complex in the ground floor of IRCH for wound care, minor operations, and Endoscopies.
Minor operative procedures:
1. Various Biopsies for confirmation of cancer including Fine needle aspiration cytology, Core needle biopsy , incision or excision biopsy .
2. Removal of small superficial cancers under local anesthesia .
3. Placement of long term venous access devices for chemotherapy (Hickman catheters / Chemoports)
Majority of G.I. cancer patients require some endoscopy procedure for confirmation of cancer. The department of Surgical oncology is offering the following Endoscopy services for cancer patients at IRCH.
Diagnostic Endoscopy :
1. Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy including side viewing endoscopy
2. Lower Gastrointestinal Endoscopy including sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy .
Therapeutic Endoscopy :
1. Endoscopy guided placement of feeding tubes & PEG.
2. Dilatation of Strictures
3. Placement of Stents for G.I. Cancers.
4. Intra-luminal Radiotherapy tube placement for Esophageal cancer
5. Endoformalin therapy for radiation cystitis and proctitits.
Surgical Oncology Census