Professor of Ophthalmology
Dr Pradeep Sharma
Professor and Head,
Section of Pediatric ophthalmology, Strabismus, Neuroophthalmology and Oculoplasty
Dr RP Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences
All-India Institute of Medical Sciences
New Delhi 110029, INDIA
Phone 91-11-26588700 Extn 3183
Date of Birth: 9th January 1957
Name of spouse: Dr Anuradha Sharma, MS, Consultant Obs & Gyn
Child:one daughter : Dr Anudeepa Sharma, MBBS.MD, Neonatology Fellow in Cleveland, US
- MBBS (AIIMS) December, 1979
- MD (Ophthalmology, AIIMS) December, 1982
- MAMS (MemberNationalAcademy of Medical Sciences, India) 1995
- FAMS (FellowNationalAcademy of Medical Sciences, India) 2007.
- Fellowship for Advanced training in Strabismus in USA by International Strabismological Association, 2001, at Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA; Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA; and Richmond Eye Hospital , Richmond, VA, April –September 2001
Awards and Honours:
- Col Rangachari Gold Medal for the Best Scientific Paper by the All- India Ophthalmological Society, Cochin, 1984.
- Dr Athavle Award for best scientific work in the fields of Pediatric Ophthalmology, Strabismus and Neuro-ophthalmology, All-India Ophthalmological Society, Ahmedabad, 2002
- Visiting faculty in ORBIS-The Flying Eye Hospital, Chennai, 2002, Miraj 2005, Mt Abu 2008
- Retina Foundation Oration of Gujarat Ophthalmological Society, 2003, Ahmedabad.
- Dr Rustomji Ranji Oration of AP State Ophthalmological Society, 2003, Eluru,AP
- Ophthalmic Society West Bengal Guest Lecture Oration, 2005, Asansol,WB
- Dr Ishwar Chandra Oration of Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society, 2006, Nagpur.
- Dr S N Mitter Oration of Delhi Ophthalmic Society, 2009, New Delhi
- Dr RHP Sinha Oration of Bihar Ophthalmic Society, 2010,
- AIOS IJO 1st Silver Award for 2010 for Horizontal Lang two pencil test 2010
- Dr Daljit Singh Oration of Punjab Ophthalmic Society, Faridkot 2011.
- Dr Gopinatha Menon Oration of Cochin Ophthalmic Club Kochi Kerala, 2014
- Dr MG Bhide Oration ofNational Institute of Ophthalmology, Pune Maharashtra,2015
- Knapp Lecture by American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, AAPOS Vancouver April 2016
- Dr TNC Vedantham Oration by Radhatri Nethralaya Chennai Sept 2015
- Dr ND Lakhanpal Oration by PGIMER Chandigarh, March 2016
- Sadguru Oration Award by Sadguru Netra Chikitsalaya, Chitrakoot, MP
Research and Publications:
- Over 175 scientific articles in National and International journals or chapters in books
- Section Editor Strabismus and Neuro-ophthalmolgy, Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, 2008-till date
- Reviewer for the International Journals Ophthalmology (AAO), BJO, JAAPOS and Strabismus.
- Strabismus Simplified, CBS Publishers, New Delhi, 1999, 2013
- Essentials of Ophthalmology, Top Medical Publishers New Delhi, 2000.2012
- Over 200 scientific presentations at Regional, National and International Conferences.
- Supervision of 67 MD Ophthalmology Thesis and one DM dissertation in Neurology.
- ICMR project on Nystagmus: Chief Investigator 2005-2007
Memberships of Scientific Societies:
- International Member of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- International Member of International Strabismological Association.
- Life member: All India Ophthalmological Society, Strabismological Society of India, National Society for Prevention of Blindness- India, Delhi Ophthalmic Society,
- Past Secretary, Vice President and Editor Journal, Strabismological Society of India.
- Joint Secretary, NSPB-India,1999-2002
- Chairman, FAICO Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Section,2011-till date.
- Co Chairman: AIOS Trade and Grievances subcommittee 2012.
- Vice President: Ophthalmic Research Association, RPC, AIIMS since 2012.
- Member Communications Committee of International Pediatric Ophthalmologyand Strabismus Council
- Vice Presidentof Strabismus and Pediatric Ophthalmology Society of India 2016-17.