Dr Namrata Sharma
Professor of Ophthalmology
MD, DNB, MNAMS
Cornea, Cataract and Refractive surgery services
Dr. Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
New Delhi, India-110029
Dr. Namrata Sharma did her post-graduation from Dr. Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
She did her fellowship from Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, UK.
She is the Regional Secretary, Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology
She is the Honorary General Secretary of All India Ophthalmological Society (AIOS).
Her clinical work includes phacoemulsification surgeries and foldable intraocular lens implantation and excimer laser refractive procedures such as Laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK), Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) Small incision Lenticule Extraction (SMILE) and phakic intraocular lenses.
Her keen areas of interest are corneal transplantation including lamellar surgeries such as Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK), Descemet’s Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSAEK) and Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty (DMEK) , anterior segment reconstructive procedures, ocular surface surgeries and keratoprosthesis. Her areas of research include all aspects of corneal diseases (including Keratoconus, Fuchs dystrophy, Chemical Injuries, Corneal Ulcers and Steven Johnson Syndrome) cataract and refractive surgeries as well as laboratory based stem cell based therapies.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
· 2 Patents (Natasol & Natamatrix)
· Brand ambassador for The Tear Film and Ocular Surface Society (TFOS-DEWS II) in India.
· Research Committee member, Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO)
· Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology(APAO) leadership award
· Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
· Achievement Award Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology
· Best Video award by European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery
· Best video award Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
· Best paper presentation American Academy of Ophthalmology
· International Ophthalmologist Education Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
· “Best of Show” awards; 6 times by the American Academy of Ophthalmology
· Gold medal, Bombay Ophthalmic Association
· R P Dhanda Award All India Ophthalmological Society
· Col Rangachari Medal All India Ophthalmological Society
· A C Agarwal Trophy Delhi Ophthalmological Society
· Krishna Sohan Singh Award Delhi Ophthalmological Society
· Om Prakash Oration award, Punjab Ophthalmological Society
· Gold Medal Indian Intraocular Implant and Refractive Society
· Appreciation Award, Association of Community Ophthalmologists in India (ACOIN)
· AIIMS Excellence Research Award- 2 times
· Over 450 publications in international peer reviewed journals
· 119 book chapters, Has authored 17 books, including Cornea transplantation, corneal ulcer, Step by Step LASIK surgery, phacoemulsification Surgery, Descemet’s Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty, Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty: Different Strokes, Textbook of Pterygium surgery and Ocular Infections. Book titled “Ophthalmology Clinics” is especially targeted for the post graduates.
· Actively involved in teaching of undergraduates as well as post graduates via various teaching programmes.
· Has been conducting numerous instruction courses and has been invited faculty at various national and international conferences like American Academy of Ophthalmology, (AAO) American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, (ASCRS) European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, (ESCRS) EuCornea, Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) and All India ophthalmological Society. (AIOS)
· Has conducted and coordinated various hands on and training programmes including skill transfer courses on Lamellar surgeries such as DALK/DSAEK and DMEK techniques at many national as well as international platforms.
· Regional Secretary, Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology
· Secretary, All India Ophthalmological Society
· Secretary, Eye Bank Association of India
· Chairperson scientific committee of Indian Society of Cornea and keratorefractive surgeons, (ISCKRS)
· Executive member of Cornea Society of India; member of Women Ophthalmic Society and Intraocular Implant and Refractive Society of India
· Ex- Secretary of Delhi Ophthalmological Society(DOS)
Has been the principal investigator in many multicentric international, FDA trials, and numerous randomized controlled clinical trials, which have changed the clinical practice patterns in the field of Cornea, Cataract & Refractive Surgery.