- Last Updated On :
Department of Physiology
Department of Physiology was established and developed by eminent neurophysiologist Prof. Bal Krishan Anand in 1956. The first batch of MBBS students were admitted in 1956. First MD students(1959) were Dr Pritam Kaur Gill and Dr Sushil Dua while first PhD student(1965) was Dr. R.Vijayan Pillai. During the golden period of department (1956-1975), department attracted many national and international researchers and students which included Dr SK Dua, Dr GS Chhina, Dr KN
Sharma, Dr SK Manchanda, Dr T Desiraju, Dr Usha Nayar, Dr Utaka Oomura to name few. First scientific investigation in the world on yoga and meditation was started by Dr Anand and Dr Chhina in the department in 1961.
Clinical Investigations and Interventions
o Autonomic function Laboratory
o Integral Health Clinic
o Transcranial magnetic stimulation
o Intra-operative Neuro-monitoring
Dean: Dr BK Anand
Dean (Examination) : Dr KK Deepak
CMET: Dr Usha Nayar, Dr KK Deepak
Sub Dean(Academic): Dr Usha Nayar, Dr BK Kapoor
Sub Dean(Examination): Dr AK Jaryal
The XXVI Congress of International Union of Physiological Sciences held in AIIMSin 1974.
First AOPS Congress was organized in 1990.
Second Interim Congress of World Sleep was organized in 2005.
Prof Usha Nayar helped establishing BPKIHS, Dharan, Nepal in 1994.
Prof KK Deepak established joint Yoga Clinic and first Autonomic Function Lab at BPKIHS, Dharan,
Nepal in 1998.