Professor of Ophthalmology
Dr. Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Field of Interest
- Lens- Femtosecond Laser Assisted laser cataract surgery, Phacoemulsification, Intraocular Lenses, Pediatric Cataract
- Cornea- External Eye Disease, Corneal Disorders, Eye-Banking & Corneal Transplant
- Refractive Surgery- Corneal Ablative Procedures, Refractive Lenticule Extraction, Phakic Intraocular Lens Implantation
- Basic Research- Molecular & Genetic Research, Tear Proteomics & Genomics
- Teaching- UG, PG, Nursing & Optometry Students, Training of trainers
Academic & Research Achievements
- >400 Publications in peer reviewed indexed journals (PubMed link: Titiyal JS) [>314 Medline Indexed, Impact Points: 348.73, Total Citations: 3365, h-Index -29, i10-index-100]
- Five books and >70 Chapters in various books
- First Indian to perform live surgery in American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (ASCRS) Annual Meeting
- Invited faculty in >200 international and national conferences, >100 live surgical demonstrations- 1993 onwards
- >1000 lectures/ talks delivered
- Regularly Conducting Instruction courses in AAO, ASCRS, ESCRS, APAO, APACRS, AIOS
- >30 funded International & National Research Projects
- Over 30 Orations & Keynote addresses- including the prestigious Dr MM Joshi Oration (My Triumph over Modern Day Cataract Surgery, 2019).
- Over 30 Best paper, Best Poster and Best Video Awards at International & National Forums
National Awards & Honors
- Awarded Padma Shri for outstanding contribution in the field of Medicine (Ophthalmology) by President of India 2014, New Delhi
- APAO Distinguished Service Award (2021). 36th Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology. 5-11 September 2021. Virtual Meeting
- P. Siva Reddy International Award (2021-22)- All India Ophthalmological Society
- R P Dhanda Award (2019-20) in the field of Cornea (Eye Banking & Keratoplasty)- All India Ophthalmological Society
- Four Gold Medals
- T Agarwal Gold Medal by Intra ocular implant and refractive surgery society of India, (IIRSI) meeting. Sept. 2019, Delhi
- “Sadguru Medal”, Sadguru Seva Singh Trust, SadguruNetraChikitsalaya, Aug 2015; Chitrakoot, MP
- Gold Medal by Bombay Ophthalmologist’s Association (BAO) Mumbai, Aug. 2013.
- Gold Medal by Intraocular Implant & Refractive Surgery society of India (IIRSI). Chennai, July 2007
- Distinguished Teachers Awards (2003-2006: four consecutive years by DOS; 2019- Deccan Ophthalmic Association)
- AIOS International Heroes Award- 77th All India Ophthalmological Society Conference. Feb. 2019; Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
- IJO Honor: 77th All India Ophthalmological Society Conference. Feb. 2019; Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Certificate of Academic Excellence: Awarded Certificate of Academic Excellence by Delhi Ophthalmological Society for the year 2000-2001 and 20001-2002. New Delhi.
- Achievement Award: Legends in Ophthalmology, Times Healthcare Achievers - Delhi 2018 honour roll. Nov 2018, New Delhi
- YOU HERO (Honouring Excellence in Re-molding Ophthalmologists) Award:Narayana Nethralaya, Bangalore 2014
International Awards &Honors
- Distinguished Service Award (2021)- Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology
- Senior Achievement Award (2016)- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Achievement Award (2009)- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- APACRS Certified Educator (A.C.E.) Award (2015)
- Achievement Award- Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (2015)
- Certificate of excellence ICL User: Awarded user certificate for first 500 ICL and 500 Toric ICL in 2016 International ICL user meet, Molmo Sweden.
- Certificate of Appreciation: (International)- World Ophthalmology Congress, XXXIII International Congress of Ophthalmology, 2012.16-20 February 2012, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Sushruta Oration. “SYNOPTIC” An Algorithmic Approach to Challenging Clinical Scenarios. Virtual meeting of Chaithanya Eye Hospital & Research Institute, Trivandrum, under aegis of Kerala ophthalmic Society. Sep 2021
- Dr. OmPraksh International Oration Delhi Ophthalmological Society in its first Web Annual DOS Conference 2020. December 2020, New Delhi
- Dr MM Joshi Oration. Belgavi, Karnataka. KOSCON Annual Meeting, 8 November 2019.
- Col. Henry” Jullundur” Smith Oration Award. Jalandhar Cataract & Refractive Club. August 2018. Jalandhar, Punjab
- Maharshi SushrutaOration, Mahatama Gandhi University of Medical sciences and technology, Jan. 2018, Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Dr. Omprakash Oration, Annual Conference of Punjab Ophthalmic Society Conference 2016, Dec 2016, Ludhiana, Punjab.
- PK Jain Oration. Corneal Endothelium: Surgeon’s Perspective. 67th Annual Conference of Delhi Ophthalmological Society, April 2016, New Delhi
- SN Mitter Oration: My Journey with Keratoplasty: Delhi Ophthalmological Society April 2015
- Dr. G D Pandey Memorial Oration, IMA, Haldwani, (Uttarakhand) June 2014.
- Professor B.P. Kashyap oration award (extra mural lecture), Jharkhand Ophthalmological society Conference “JHOSCON”. Dec. 2012, Ranchi, (Jharkhand
- Dr. Rustom Ranji Oration for outstanding work in the field of Ophthalmology. “Past Present and Future of Lamellar keratoplasty”. 36thannual Conference of Andhra Pradesh Ophthalmological Society. Guntur (AP), Oct. 2012.
- Dr. P N Sinha Oration “Recent advances in Keratoplasty Techniques”. 49th Annual Bihar Ophthalmological Society Conference (BOSCON), Rajgir. Bihar, 3rd Dec. 2011.
- Dr. J C Khanra& Smt. Sarala Devi Memorial ACOIN Award, 2010, International Assembly of Community ophthalmologist and IInd Annual Meet of Association of community Ophthalmologist of India (ACOIN). Oct. 2011, Guwahati (Assam)
- Dr. C. Shekhar Oration for outstanding work in the field of Ophthalmology Awarded by Uttarakhand State Ophthalmological Society, VI Annual State Conference. Oct. 2009, Bhimtal, (Uttarakhand)
- Dr. Ishwarchandra Silver Jubilee Award on Outstanding contribution in the field of keratoplasty, awarded by Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society, Oct2009; Sewagram, (Maharashtra)
- Dr. R.P.H. Sinha Oration “Special Situations in Phacoemulsification Surgery”. Bihar Ophthalmological Society, midterm Conference Patna. Bihar, 10th May 2009.
- Major (Dr.) S.C. Dutta Oration on “Difficult situations in Phacoemulsification Surgery”. Awarded by Ophthalmological Society of West Bengal, XXIX Annual State Conference. Oct. 2008, RamChander Puram (WB)
- Major (Dr.) S.C. Dutta Oration on “Limbal stem cell graft in corneal disorders”. Awarded by Ophthalmological Society of West Bengal, XXXV Annual State Conference. Oct. 2004, Kolkata (WB)
- Dr. B D Joshi oration on ‘Therapeutic Contact Lenses’, awarded by Vidarbha Ophthalmic Society, June 1999; Nagpur. (Maharashtra)
Community Honors & Awards
- Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan Memorial Award 2020
- Tejasvi Astitva Foundation on the occasion of Teachers Day celebration 2020
- Parwat Gaurav Samman 2019 Award by ParwateeyMahaparisad, Lucknow
- “Uttarakhand Gaurav” by Uttarakhand Club 2011
- Netrika Manav SamajUtthanSewa Samiti 2011
- “Rung Ratna” by Rung Kalyan Sanstha, Dehradun, Uttarakhand in 2014
- Legends in Ophthalmology, Times Healthcare Achievers - Delhi 2018 honor roll
- Honored with TEDx Talk on ‘My Journey in Keratoplasty’
Administration & Ophthalmic Organizations
- President Indian Society of Cornea &Keratorefractive Surgeons 2016-current
- President Delhi Ophthalmological Society 2013-2014
- Chairman, National Eye Bank, RP Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, AIIMS- 2010-2021
- Secretary Delhi Ophthalmological Society 2003-2005