Ocular microbiology Section
Dr R P Centre, AIIMS, New Delhi
Ocular Microbiology section at Dr. RP Centre is involved in diagnosis of ocular infections, infection control at the centre, graduate and post graduate teaching and state of the art research.
The diagnostic facilities at the section are in compliance with international standards, and turnaround time is maintained at all times. On an average, 25000 clinical cases are diagnosed in the section per year. Various modalities of diagnosis and research being used in the section are:
- Light and fluorescent microscopy.
- Bacterial, fungal and Acanthamoeba culture and identification.
- Automated bacterial cultures.
- Antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
- Tissue culture for viruses and Chlamydia.
- Immunodiagnostic assays.
- Modern molecular diagnosis techniques for bacterial, fungal and viral infections.
The section is actively involved in hospital infection control in which we take care of:
- Quality control of air in operation theatres and other critical care areas
- Surveillance of sterility and disinfection of patient care articles and surfaces
- Investigation of clusters and outbreaks of infections
Additionally, The section in-charge is the Nodal Officer of the centre for COVID-19 and member secretary of COVID-19 Committee of the centre. Physical and online training of health care workers, making of educational videos for the monitors of the centre, contact tracing; evaluation of PPE; surveillance of use of PPE and infection control measures; making COVID-19 control SOPs, posters and displays; ensuring disinfection of patient care areas and minimizing transmission in the centre; smooth isolation/quarantine and joining of healthcare workers; commencement and functioning of COVID-19 sample collection kiosk; and channelizing of testing of patients and healthcare workers are amongst the important COVID-19 responsibilities shouldered.
Unit Incharge Name: Dr. Nishat Hussain Ahmed
Unit Faculty Names & Designations:
- Dr. Nishat Hussain Ahmed- Additional Professor
- Dr. Prachala Rathod- Assistant Professor (Contract)
Services Provided (Add photos):
Ocular Infections are diagnosed in minimum turnaround time using international standards
Infection Prevention and Control is integral part of Ocular Microbiology Services