Dr. Sanjeev Kumar Gupta
Laboratory Oncology, Dr B.R.A. IRCH,
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi-110029. INDIA
- DM (Hematopathology), (2007-2010) from All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- DNB (Pathology) (2004) from National Board of Examination, Delhi
- MD (Pathology) (2001-2004) from Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- MBBS (1995-2000) from Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
FELLOWSHIP: DHR Fellowship (2019) in the area of ‘Genomics’ at MD Anderson Cancer Centre, Houston, Texas, USA
AREAS OF INTEREST:
Molecular Genetics of Hematological Malignancies, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
CONTRIBUTIONS TO RESEARCH:
- Dr Sanjeev Kumar Gupta has worked on the molecular genetic profile of B-acute lymphoblastic leukemia (B-ALL), particularly the gene copy number variations and their impact on clinical outcome. He published the first papers from India about the prevalence of gene copy number variations like CDKN2A/B, PAX5, ETV6, and IKAROS (IKZF1) deletions in B-ALL. This work confirmed the independent prognostic impact of IKZF1 deletions on the outcome of B-ALL and established a much higher prevalence of this adverse genetic variation in our cohort of patients. He was awarded with the “AIIMS Excellence Research Award in 2017” for his work in this field.
- Dr Gupta also studied about the complementary role of molecular genetic profile in outcome prediction of B-ALL; in addition to the standard practice of flow cytometry based minimal residual disease (MRD) assessment. He was awarded with “AIIMS Oncology Research Award in 2019” for his published work in this area.
- Dr Gupta was part of an international collaborative group studying the involvement and clinical impact of COBL gene rearrangements in the B-ALL cases with IKZF1 Deletions. This work, published in Translational Oncology journal, confirmed that COBL is a hotspot associated with IKZF1 deletions but these rearrangements were not driven by RAG-mediated recombination.
- Earlier, Dr Gupta has worked on rapid diagnosis of acute promyelocytic leukemia (APML) using immunofluorescence. This approach helps in rapid confirmation of the disease and early institution of therapy, thus preventing coagulopathy related complications in patients of APML, which has to be tackled like a medical emergency. This work was quoted in the Brazilian national guidelines for the management of APML. For this research work, he was awarded “Mrs Geeta Mittal Medal, 2009” for Clinical Research at AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Dr Gupta has also worked on establishing the data on prevalence of other genetic variations in Indian B-ALL patients, which are prognostically relevant, like iAMP21 (intrachromosomal amplification of chromosome 21) and ERG (ETS related gene) deletions.
- Dr Gupta has evaluated the utility of various molecular diagnostic techniques like MLPA (multiplex ligation dependent probe amplification), multiplex fluorescent PCR, sequencing, Flow cytometry, FISH etc. in detecting the genetic variations in B-ALL.
- Dr Gupta has also contributed towards maintaining the high standards of published research work through the peer-review process and was awarded the “Best Reviewer Award -Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion at the 59th Annual conference of Indian Society of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, 2018” for his efforts.
- AIIMS Oncology Research Award 2019- for outstanding publication (Clinical Research) titled, “Molecular genetic profile in BCR-ABL1 negative pediatric B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia can further refine outcome prediction in addition to that by end-induction minimal residual disease detection”, at AIIMS, New Delhi, 2019.
- AIIMS Excellence Research Award 2017- for outstanding publication (Clinical Research) titled, “Gene copy number alteration profile and its clinical correlation in B-ALL”, at AIIMS, New Delhi, 2017.
- Awarded long-term Fellowship in Genomics at MD Anderson Cancer Centre, Houston, Texas, USA (June- December 2019) by the Department of Health Research (DHR), Govt. of India.
- Best Reviewer Award -Indian Journal of Hematology and Blood Transfusion at the 59th Annual conference of Indian Society of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, 2018 at Kochi, Kerala
- PODC Scholarship award by International Society of the Paediatric Oncology (SIOP) to present research paper at the 49th Congress of the SIOP 2017 at Washington DC, USA,2017.
- UGC travel award to present research paper at the 28th annual conference of the International Society of Laboratory Hematology, ISLH 2015 at Chicago, Illinois, USA,2015.
- J C Patel Award for the best paper titled “Evaluation of PG-M3 antibodies in the diagnosis of acute promyelocytic leukemia” at Golden Jubilee Conference of ISHTM, at AIIMS, New Delhi, 2009.
- Mrs Geeta Mittal Medal, 2009 for Clinical Research at AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Mrs Geeta Mittal Book Prize, 2009 for Clinical Research at AIIMS, New Delhi.
- Pyare Lal Sharma Bishan Devi Gold Medal for Best Thesis in Pre and Para Clinical Subject for the year 2003 for thesis titled, “Evaluation of skin biopsies in leprosy for mast cells, dermal nerves and microvasculature” at Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi.
- Dr. R P Mathur Memorial Award for Best 3rd year outgoing Junior Resident in Pathology for the year 2003 in Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi.
- Dr. SN Mukherjee Gold Medal for Best Student in Obstetrics & Gynecology in the Final Professional University Exam, 1999 in Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi.
- First position in “The Quiz” of the VII National Hematology Update, at AIIMS, 2008.
- Award in Hindi essay-competition at AIIMS, New Delhi, 2018.
- Third prize in Oral paper presentation, 26th Annual Conference of Delhi Society of Hematology, Delhi, 2015.
- Second position in the “Hematology Quiz” at 54th Annual conference of Indian Society of Haematology & Blood Transfusion, 2013, Mumbai.
- Third Prize in “DM Quiz on Leukemias” in 33rd Annual Conference of Mumbai Haematology Group, at TMH, Mumbai, 2010.
- Second Prize for paper presentation in Young Dermatologist Session in Annual Conference of IADVL (Delhi), 2004.
- Certificate of Merit from Department of Education, Delhi Government, under National Scholarship Scheme in AISS Examination, 1992.
- All India Talent Search scholarship, 1990.
- Extramural research Funding by ICMR for project (I-1145; 2020-2023), “Development of risk-stratification algorithm to select BCR-ABL1 negative pediatric B-ALL patients for detailed genetic analysis- a step towards optimum use of next generation sequencing platform”
- Intramural research project (A-600, 2018-2020), “Prevalence and significance of ETS related gene deletions in ALL”
- Intramural research project (A-413, 2016-2018), “Prevalence of intrachromosomal amplification of chromosome 21 (iAMP21) in B-ALL”
- Intramural research project (A-193, 2013-2015), “IKZF1 (Ikaros) mutations in B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia”
- ICMR Grant for DM thesis (3/2/2007-08/PG-Thesis-MPD-28) “Assessment of PNH clone by flow cytometry in Granulocytes in PNH and Aplastic Anemia” under supervision of Prof. H P Pati, AIIMS, New Delhi
- Gupta SK, Viswanatha DS, Patel KP. Evaluation of somatic hypermutation status in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in the era of next generation sequencing. Front. Cell Dev. Biol. 2020; 8:357:1-12. PMID: 32509784. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2020.00357 Published 19 May 2020 (IF- 5.180)
- Das N, Gupta R, Gupta SK, Bakhshi S, Malhotra A, Rai S, Singh S, Prajapati VK, Sahoo RK, Gogia A, Sharma A, Kumar L. A real world-perspective of CD123 expression in acute leukemia as promising biomarker to predict treatment outcome in B-ALL and AML. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2020 Published:May 10, 2020. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clml.2020.05.004 (IF-2.274)
- Lopes BA, Meyer C, Barbosa TC, Poubel CP, Mansur MB, Duployez N, Bashton M, Harrison CJ, Stadt U, Horstmann M, Pombo-de-Oliveira MS, Palmi C, Cazzaniga G, Venn NC, Sutton R, Alonso CN, Tsaur G, Gupta SK, Bakhshi S, Marschalek R, Emerenciano M. IKZF1 Deletions with COBL Breakpoints Are Not Driven by RAG-Mediated Recombination Events in Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Translational Oncology, 2019; 12(5):726-732. doi.org/10.1016/j.tranon.2019.02.002. (IF-3.071) (citations- 2)
- Gupta SK, Bakhshi S, Chopra A, Kamal VK. Molecular genetic profile in BCR-ABL1 negative pediatric B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia can further refine outcome prediction in addition to that by end-induction minimal residual disease detection. Leuk Lymphoma, 2018 Aug;59(8):1899-1904. (IF-3.093) (citations- 3)
- Garg S, Gupta SK, Bakhshi S, Mallick S, Kumar L. ETP-ALL with aberrant B marker expression: Case series and a brief review of literature. Int J Lab Hematol. 2019 Apr;41(2):e32-e37. doi: 10.1111/ijlh.12942. Epub 2018 Nov 8. Review. PubMed PMID: 30407727. (IF-1.919)
- Gupta SK, Bakhshi S, Kumar L, Kamal VK, Kumar R. Gene copy number alteration profile and its clinical correlation in B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma, 2017;58(2):333-342. (IF-3.093) (citations- 22)
- Gupta SK, Bakhshi S, Kumar L, Seth R, Kumar R. IKZF1 (IKAROS) deletions in B-ALL and its clinical correlation: A prospective study from a tertiary care centre in Northern India. Leuk Res 2016;41:7-11. (IF-2.606) (citations- 9)
- Arora P, Gupta SK, Mallik N, Mittal R, Sharma OD, Kumar L. Flow cytometry in diagnosis of myelomatous pleural effusion: A Case Report. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2016 Jun;32(Suppl 1):138-42. Epub 2015 Sep 3. (IF-0.198) (citations- 4)
- Gupta SK, Chopra A, Singh S, Kumar R, Bakhshi S, Kumar L, Sharma A. Absence of CD9 expression in acute myeloid leukemia: possible correlation with t(8;21). Int J Lab Hematol. 2015; 37(3): e56-8. doi: 10.1111/ijlh.12296. Epub 2014 Sep 26. (IF-1.87) (citations- 1)
- Gupta SK, Sazawal S, Mahapatra M, Saxena R. Evaluation of PG-M3 antibody in the diagnosis of acute promyelocytic leukaemia. Eur J Clin Invest 2010; 40 (10): 960–962. (IF-3.018) (citations- 5)
- Gupta SK, Pati HP, Tejomurtula AP, Seth T. PNH clone assessment by flow cytometry and its clinical correlation in PNH and aplastic anemia. J Hematopathol 2010; 3 (4):137–143 (IF-0.410) (citations- 3)
- Gupta SK, Chandramohan J, Kumar L. AML transformation after autologous stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 May 29;2015. pii: bcr2015210024. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2015- 210024. (citations- 1)
- Gupta SK, Dass J, Saxena R. A rare case of double heterozygous state for HbD and HbE. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2015; 58(1): 126-127. (IF-0.642) (citations- 2)
- Gupta SK, Kumar R, Chharchhodawala T, Kumar L. Secondary pure erythroid leukaemia in relapsed acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: lineage switch or chemotherapy effect? BMJ Case Rep. 2014 May 19;2014. pii: bcr2013201724. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-201724. (citations- 5)
- Khera R, Gautam P, Gupta S, Arora P, Singh T, Gupta N. Adult T Lymphoblastic Leukemia (Pro-T ALL) with Reactive Monocytosis: A Case Report. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus, 2014; 30(1):29-33. (IF-0.198) (citations- 1)
- Kapoor R, Pati HP, Gupta SK, Gupta N. Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia Presenting as Ischemic Stroke in Young. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus, 2013; 29(2):93-5. (IF-0.198) (citations- 6)
- AggarwalS, Alam S, Khanna R, Maras JS, Gupta SK, Ahuja A. Novel nonsense mutation of ABHD5 in Dorfman Chanarin syndrome with unusual findings:A challenge for genotype-phenotype correlation. Eur J Med Genet2012;55(3):173-7(IF-2.178) (citations- 11)
- Sharma SK, Gupta S, Seth T, Mishra P, Mahapatra M, Singh MK, Gupta S. Leukemia Cutis: An Unusual Presentation. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus, 2012; 28(3): 175-177. (IF-0.198) (citations- 17)
- Gupta SK, Sharma M, Tyagi S, Pati HP. Transfusion induced hemoglobinopathy in patients of beta-thalassemia major. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2011; 54: 609-11. (IF-0.676) (citations- 6)
- Rao S, Kar R, Gupta SK, Chopra A, Saxena R. Spectrum of hemoglobinopathies diagnosed by CE-HPLC and modulating effects of nutritional deficiency anemia: Experience from a tertiary care centre in North India. Indian J Med Res, 2010, 132; 513-519. (IF-2.061) (citations- 61)
- Gupta N, Gupta SK, Jain A, Mahapatra M, Pati HP, Sarkar C. Extramedullary haematopoiesis in lymph node in a patient of T cell leukemia. Eur J Haematol, 2010; 84(6):553. (IF-2.614) (citations- 2)
- Gupta N, Gupta SK, Rathi S, Sharma SK, Mahapatra M, Seth T, Mishra P, Saxena R. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia presenting as non-oliguric renal failure and hypertension. Leuk Res, 2010; 34(7):e150-1. (IF-2.472) (citations- 7)
- Gupta SK, Rao S, Kar R, Tyagi S, Pati HP. Congenital Sideroblastic Anemia: A report of two cases. Ind J Pathol Microbiol 2009; 52(3): 424-426. (IF-0.676) (citations- 2)
- Gupta A, Singh U, Singh P, Kundu ZS, Gupta S, Gupta S. Fine needle aspiration of a huge pelvic mass involving the iliac bone. Cytopathology 2009; 20(1): 63-65. (IF-1.588) (citations- 1)
- Gupta SK, Jain D, Singh T. Plasmodium falciparum in trephine biopsy. Am J Hematol 2008; 83(7): 602. (IF-4.671) (citations- 1)
- Saxena R, Gupta SK. Myeloproliferative neoplasms: The era of JAK2 mutations and more. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2008; 29(4): 4-5.
- Jain D, Gupta SK, Singh T. Hemoglobin E disease with concomitant tuberculosis. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2008; 51(4): 570. (IF-0.676)
- Gupta SK, Nigam S, Mandal AK, Kumar V. S-100 as a useful auxiliary diagnostic aid in tuberculoid leprosy. Journal of Cutaneous Pathology 2006; 33(7): 482. (IF-1.561) (citations- 19)
- Gupta SK, Singh S, Kumar CP, Marwah N, Gupta A. Fine needle aspiration cytology of a non ulcerated penile lump. Cytopathology 2005; 16: 312-314. (IF-1.588) (citations- 3)
- Nigam S, Gupta SK, Chaturvedi KU. Adenomatoid Odontogenic Tumor- A Rare Cause of Jaw Swelling. Brazilian Dental Journal 2005; 16(3): 251-253. (IF-0.283) (citations- 71)
- Pahwa R, Gupta SK, Singh T, Nigam S. Acute fulminant visceral leishmaniasis in children- A report of two cases. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2004; 47(3): 428-430. (IF-0.676) (citations- 12)
- Singh S, Gupta R, Gupta SK , Jain S. Bilateral breast lumps in a young female- cytological approach to diagnosis. Cytopathology 2004; 15: 331-333. (IF-1.588) (citations- 3)
- Nigam S, Singhal N, Gupta SK, Chhabra D, Manaktala U. Placental site trophoblastic tumor in a postmenopausal female- A case report. Gynecologic Oncology 2004; 93: 550-553. (IF-3.592) (citations- 29)
- Pahwa R, Gupta SK, Prakash A, Singh T, Nigam S, Singh NP. Pyridoxine responsive sideroblastic anemia : A report of two cases. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus 2003; 21(3): 90-91. (IF-0.198)
- 29. Mishra D, Sharma S, Gupta S, Das M, Chauhan D. Acute Cysticercal Meningitis – missed diagnosis. Indian J Pediatrics 2006; 73; 835-837. (IF-0.521) (citations- 4)
MEMBERSHIP OF SCIENTIFIC BODIES:
- International Society for Laboratory Hematology (ISLH)- Member 2015-17
- International Society of the Paediatric Oncology (SIOP)- Member 2018
- Society of Hematologic Oncology
- Association of Molecular Pathology- Member 2019-20
- Member of National Academy of Medical Sciences (MNAMS) – admitted 2007
- Indian Society of Hematology & Blood Transfusion (ISHBT), 2007-Life Member No. LM-890.
- The Cytometry Society-India- Life member No. L-1213, (1000 renew for 14-23)
- Delhi Society of Haematology-Life Member No. DSH-285.
- Indian Association of Pathologists and microbiologists (IAPM)- Life member provisional No. OL/2015-19/1608
- Indian Society of Human Genetics (ISHG)- Life member no. L/1787/2015
- Society for Mitochondrial Research and Medicine (SMRM)-India- Life Member (L/154/2015)
- Indian Association of Pathologists and microbiologists (IAPM)-Delhi Chapter- Life member. 404/06