The Department of Biochemistry of this Institute was set up when the Institute was established as a centre of national importance for teaching, research and patient care in 1956 by an Act of Parliament. This department is globally recognized for its quality teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students, medical research, patient care, training and PhD programme. We conduct lectures and practical exercises for the undergraduate medical (MBBS), postgraduate medical, basic and applied courses (MD, M.Sc, M.Biotech) as well as undergraduate Nursing classes. In undergraduate teaching we employ innovative teaching techniques such as Problem Based Learning. The postgraduate students (MD, M.Sc and Ph.D) undertake their thesis work under the supervision of the faculty. The faculty is involved extensively in research activities related to basic, clinical and translational biomedical research. The funding for research is obtained from research grants from intramural sources and National as well as International funding agencies. Currently there are 10 faculty members and 26 staff members in the department.