Dr Kanwaljeet Garg, MBBS, M.CH, Complex Spine Surgery Fellowship
Associate Professor, Department of Neurosurgery and Gamma Knife,
All India Institute of Medical Sciences and JPN apex Trauma Centre
Dr Kanwaljeet Garg is an AIIMS alumnus. He joined AIIMS, New Delhi, the most prestigious and competitive medical school in India in 2001. He joined M.Ch. Neurosurgery residency (6 years) in 2008 at AIIMS, New Delhi itself. He had an excellent academic and surgical record throughout his residency training with many publications in both national and international journals in residency. He has also presented his work at various scientific meetings in India and abroad, which has resulted in best paper awards. He was awarded the ISPN travelling fellowship to present his research. He has also won the first prize for “microsuturing and microneural anastamosis” and “high speed drilling” at the 13th Neurosurgery skills training workshop held at AIIMS. After completing his neurosurgical residency in 2014, he joined a one year long clincial fellowship “Combined Spine Surgery” at the Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary (Canada), under the mentorship of world renowned spine surgeons like Prof John Hurlbert and Prof Jacques Bouchard. He refined his skills in spine surgery during this fellowship and also learned the art of minimal invasive spine surgery at a high volume centre. He was about to start another fellowship in spine surgery with Prof Richard Fessler and Prof Vincent Traynelis at Rush University, Chicago (USA) but he got selected and joined as an Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery at AIIMS in July 2015. He is well versed in all aspects of neurosurgery with special interest in Spine surgery, surgery for Movement disorders and Stereotactic Radiosurgery (Gamma Knife). He has keen research interest and has been working on many projects.
Areas of Interest – Neurosurgery (with special reference to) -
- Spinal instrumentation for traumatic and degenerative spine
- Minimally invasive spinal surgery including spinal decompression using tubular retractors, MIS TLIF, XLIF and OLIF
- Craniovertebral junction surgery
- Spinal tumors – intramedullary and extramedullary
- Vertebral body tumors
- Percutaneous procedures and spinal fixation
- Surgery for Complex Spine Trauma
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS) for Parkinson’s disease and dystonia
- Pallidotomy for dystonia and Parkinson’s disease
- DREZotomy procedure for post traumatic limb pain
- Selective rhizotomy for spasticity
- Baclofen pump insertion for spasticity
Gamma knife Radiosurgery
- Gamma Knife for brain tumors like vestibular schwannomas, pituitary adenomas
- Gamma knife for vascular malformations
- Gamma knife for trigeminal neuralgia
- Spinal dysraphism
- Neural tube defects
Skull base and Cerebrovascular surgery
- Clipping of aneurysms
- Revascularization procedures for moya-moya disease
- Vestibular schwannomas
- Pituitary adenomas
- ETV in hydrocephalus
- Arachnoid cysts
- Giomas and other tumors
Research Interests :
- Traumatic spinal cord injury
- Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy
- Movement disorders
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery
- Craniovertebral junction
Education and Training
2001 – 2006: MBBS (Graduation, passed all professional examinations in first attempt) at All India Institute of Medial Sciences, New Delhi, India.
2007 : Worked as non-academic junior resident in departments of “Employee Health Services” at All India Institute of Medial Sciences, New Delhi, India.
2008 – 2014 : Neurosurgery residency (6 year M.Ch course, passed in first attempt) at All India Institute of Medial Sciences, New Delhi, India.
2014: Became ECFMG certified by passing all USMLE steps with high three digit scores
2014 – 2015 : Complex spine fellowship at Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, Canada
July 2015- June 2018: Assistant Professor at Department of Neurosurgery and Gamma Knife, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
July 2018 onwards: Associate Professor at Department of Neurosurgery and Gamma Knife, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Awards and Achievements
- Certificate of Merit in Hindi in All India Secondary School Examination 1999
- Won 1st prize in Neurosurgery Quiz held by DNA (Delhi Neurological Association), February 2012
- Awarded Travel fellowship from International Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery for presentation in ISPN SYDNEY, September 2012
- Won 1st prize in Quiz held by DNA (Delhi Neurological Association), February 2013
- Awarded travel grant by India Council of Medical Research, India to attend AANS meeting held in San Francisco (US), April 2014
- Won 1st prize in High speed drilling in the 13th Neurosurgery skills workshop, April, 2104
- Won 1st prize in microsuturing and neural anastomosis in the 13th Neurosurgery skills workshop, April, 2104
- Awarded Educational award by the Korean Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery in December 2017
- Awarded Movement Disorder Society fellowship 2019
Professional Memberships –
1. Member of AO Spine
2. Member of Congress of Neurological Surgeons
3. Member of American Association of Neurological Surgeons
4. Life member of Neurological Society of India
5. Life member of Neurological Surgeons’ Society of India
6. Member of Indian Society of Trauma
7. Life member of Indian Society of Pediatric neurosurgery
8. Life member of Association of spinal surgeons of India
Clinics and inpatient services:
Neurosurgery Unit I
OPD days : Monday 9 am – 1 pm and Thursday 2 pm – 5 pm, Room number 16, Ground Floor, CNC OPD (For OPD appointment, contact 011-26593291)
Inpatient : NSICU-B, NSICU-C 1st floor, CN Center; NS-3 ward – 3rd floor, CN Center
Operation theatre : NS-OT, 1st floor, CN Center
Total number of publications – 132 (January 2020)
Pubmed link - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=kanwaljeet+garg
Following are selected publication – :
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Sinha S, Kale SS, Chandra PS, Suri A, Singh MM, Kumar R, Sharma MS, Pandey RM, Sharma BS, Mahapatra A K: Role of simvastatin in prevention of vasospasm and improving functional outcome after aneurysmal sub-arachnoid hemorrhage: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial. Br J Neurosurg 2013 Apr; 27(2): 181-6 (doi: 10.3109/02688697.2012.757293)
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Sinha S, Sharma BS, Mahapatra A K: Microsurgical outcome in posttraumatic brachial plexus injuries in children – An experience of 33 cases. Childs Nerv Syst.2014 May;30(5):919-23. doi: 10.1007/s00381-013-2325-z. Epub 2013 Nov 22.
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Singh PK, Chandra PS, Suri A, Singh M, Kale SS, Sharma BS: Pediatric intracranial aneurysms – Our experience and review of literature. Childs Nerv Syst. 2014 May;30(5):873-83. doi: 10.1007/s00381-013-2336-9. Epub 2013 Dec 10.
- Singh PK, Kanwaljeet Garg, Sawarkar DR, Sinha S, Kale SS, Sharma BS: CT-guided C2 Pedicle Screw Placement for Treatment of Unstable Hangman's Fractures. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014 Aug 15;39(18):E1058-65. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000000451.
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Sinha S, Satyarthee GD, Agarwal D, Gupta D, Sharma BS, Mahapatra A. Microsurgical outcome of posttraumatic peripheral nerve injuries – An experience of 23 cases and review of literature. Turkish Journal of Neurosurgery 2016;26(2):297-301. doi: 10.5137/1019-5149.JTN.7017-12.1.
- Vivek Tandon, Kanwaljeet Garg, Ashok Kumar Mahapatra: Terminal Myelocystocele: A series of 30 cases and review of literature. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2012; 48(4): 229-35. (DOI 10.1159/000349915)
- Ajay Bisht, Kanwaljeet Garg, Deepak Agarwal, Pankaj Kumar Singh, G D Sathyarthee, Deepak Gupta, B. S. Sharma: Histological changes in thalamus in short term survivors following traumatic brain injury – An autopsy study. Neurol India. 2013 Nov-Dec;61(6):599-605. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.125256
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Vivek Tandon, Bhawani S Sharma, Ashok Kumar Mahapatra: Management of adult tethered cord syndrome – Our experience and review of literature Neurol India. 2014 Mar-Apr;62(2):137-43. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.132329.
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Pankaj Kumar Singh, Bhawani Shankar Sharma: Bilateral sixth nerve palsy in association with subarachnoid hemorrhage Br J Neurosurg. 2014 Dec;28(6):771-5. doi: 10.3109/02688697.2014.913780.
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Vivek Tandon, Sumit Sinha, Ashish Suri, Bhawani S Sharma, Ashok Kumar Mahapatra: Remote site bleed is not always a preventable complication: Early diagnosis can save lives. Neurology India. 2014 May-Jun;62(3):296-302. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.137027.
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Saurabh Sharma, Vivek Tandon, Rajinder Kumar, Ashish Suri, Bhawani S Sharma, AK Mahapatra: Quadrigeminal cistern arachnoid cyst: A series of 18 patients and review of literature. Br J Neurosurg. 2014 Sep 12:1-7
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Hitesh Kumar Gurjar, Pankaj Kumar Singh, P Sarat Chandra, Manmohan Singh, Bhawani Sharma: Internal carotid artery aneurysms presenting with epistaxis – Our experience and review of literature. Turk Neurosurg. 2016;26:357-63.
- Garg K, Borkar SA, Kale SS, Sharma BS. Spinal arachnoid cysts - our experience and review of literature. Br J Neurosurg. 2017;31:172-178.
- Kurwale N, Garg K, Arora A, Chandra PS, Tripathi M. Valproic acid as an antiepileptic drug: Is there a clinical relevance for the epilepsy surgeon? Epilepsy Res. 2016 ;127:191-194.
- Garg K, Sharma R, Gupta D, Sinha S, Satyarthee GD, Agarwal D, Kale SS, Sharma BS, Mahapatra AK. Outcome predictors in pediatric head trauma: A study of clinicoradiological factors. J Pediatr Neurosci 2017;12:149-53
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Rajinder Kumar: Isolated central canal rupture of spinal dermoid: A report of three cases and review of literature. J Neurosurg Spine. 2014 Jun 13:1-6
- Sharma R, Garg K, Agarwal S, Agarwal D, Chandra PS, Kale SS, Sharma BS, Mahapatra AK. Microvascular decompression for hemifacial spasm: A systematic review of vascular pathology, long term treatment efficacy and safety. Neurol India. 2017 May-Jun;65(3):493-505. doi: 10.4103/neuroindia.NI_1166_16.
- Sharma R, Garg K, Tandon V Chandra PS, Kale SS, Sharma BS, Mahapatra AK. The role of Mifepristone in the management of Meningiomas: A Systematic Review of Literature Neurol India. 2019 May-Jun;67(3):698-705. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.263232.
- Jotwani P, Srivastav V, Tripathi M, Deo RC, Baby B, Damodaran N, Singh R, Suri A1, Bettag M, Roy TS, Busert C, Mehlitz M, Lalwani S, Kanwaljeet Garg, Paul K, Prasad S, Banerjee S, Kalra P, Kumar S, Sharma BS. Free-access open-source e-learning in comprehensive neurosurgery skills training. Neurol India. 2014 Jul-Aug; 62(4):352-61
- Singh PK, Chandra PS, Vaghani G, Savarkar DP, Garg K, Kumar R, Kale SS, Sharma BS. Management of pediatric single-level vertebral hemangiomas presenting with myelopathy by three-pronged approach (ethanol embolization, laminectomy, and instrumentation): a single-institute experience. Childs Nerv Syst. 2016 Feb;32(2):307-14. doi: 10.1007/s00381-015-2941-x.
- Ankita Aggarwal, Deep N Srivastava, Manisha Jana, Raju Sharma, K Garg: Comparison of different sequences of MRI and Ultrasongram with Nerve Conduction Studies in peripheral neuropathies World Neurosurg. 2017 Dec;108:185-200. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2017.08.054.
- Ankita Aggarwal, Deep N Srivastava, Manisha Jana, Raju Sharma, K Garg : MR neurography and ultrasonogram findings in upper limb peripheral neuropathies - A review – Neurol India. 2019 Jan-Feb;67(Supplement):S125-S134.
- Garg K, Rajinder Kumar: Isolated central canal rupture of spinal dermoid: A report of three cases and review of literature. J Neurosurg Spine. 2014 Jun 13:1-6
- Garg K, Singh PM, Singla R, et al. Role of Decompressive Craniectomy in Traumatic Brain Injury - A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Neurol India. 2019;67(5):1225–1232. doi:10.4103/0028-3886.271260
- Singh M, Shabari Girishan KV, Bajaj J, Garg K. (2018) Deep brain stimulation for movement disorders: Surgical nuances. Neurol India S122-S130.
- Singh M, Garg K. (2017) Pallidal deep brain stimulation in dystonia. Neurol India. 65:1232-1233.
- M Singh, K Garg. Musician's dystonia- What a Neurosurgeon can offer!. Accepted for publication in Neurology India
- Garg K, Deora H, Mishra S, TripathiM, SadashivaS, Chandra PS, Kale SS. How is neurosurgical residency in India? Results of an annonymized national survey of residents. Accepted for publication in Neurology India
- Zileli M, Maheshwari S, Kale SS, Garg K, Menon SK, Parthiban J. (2019) Prognosis of CSM: WFNS Spine Committee Recommendations. Accepted for publication in Neurospine
- Dash C, Moorthy S, Garg K, Singh PK, Kumar A, Gurjar H, Chandra PS, Sarad Kale S. Management of Choroid plexus tumors in infants and young children up to 4 years of age: An institutional experience. World Neurosurg. 2018 Sep 24. pii: S1878-8750(18)32135-1. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2018.09.089
- Sarat Chandra P, Bajaj J, Singh PK, Garg K, Agarwal D. Basilar Invagination and Atlantoaxial Dislocation: Reduction, Deformity Correction and Realignment Using the DCER (Distraction, Compression, Extension, and Reduction) Technique With Customized Instrumentation and Implants. Neurospine. 2019 Jun;16(2):231-250. doi: 10.14245/ns.1938194.097. Epub 2019 Jun 30.
- Agrawal D, Garg K. Microscissor DREZotomy - A New Way for 'Atraumatic Lesioning' of DREZ. Neurol India. 2019;67(5):1320–1322. doi:10.4103/0028-3886.271271
- R Sharma, K Garg: Letter: Role of Decompressive Craniectomy in Traumatic Brain Injury—How Much Wiser are We After Randomized Evaluation of Surgery with Craniectomy for Uncontrollable Elevation of Intracranial Pressure Trial? Neurosurgery
- Sharma BS, Garg K. Anterior Circulation Aneurysm Clipping - Pterional Craniotomy or Modified Pterional Craniotomy?. Neurol India. 2019;67(5):1254–1256. doi:10.4103/0028-3886.271281
- H Deora, K Garg, S Mishra, M Tripathi: Residency perception survey among residents of low-middle income countries: Grassroot evaluation of Neurosurgery education. Accepted for publication in Neurosurgery focus
- K Garg, H Gurjar, P S Chandra, B S Sharma: Suprasellar tuberculoma. Br J Neurosurg. 2014 Aug;28(4):562-3. doi: 10.3109/02688697.2013.857009
- K Garg, H Gurjar, PS Chandra, BS Sharma: Pentapathology in neurofibromatosis. Indian J Pediatr. Sep;81(9):980-1. doi: 10.1007/s12098-013-1270-x
- K Garg, GD Satyarthee, M Singh, BS Sharma: Giant pituitary adenoma – Can it grow bigger than this? BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Nov 21;2013. pii: bcr2013201738. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-201738.
- K Garg, V Tandon, AK Mahapatra: Chiari III malformation with proatlas abnormality Pediatr Neurosrg. 2011;47(4):295-8. Epub 2012 Mar 23.
- V Tandon, K Garg, AK Mahapatra: ‘Double skull’ appearance due to calcifications of chronic subdural hematoma and cephalhematoma: A report of two cases Turk Neurosurg. 2013;23(6):815-7. doi: 10.5137/1019-5149.JTN.6189-12.1
- K Garg, S Sinha, SS Kale, R Kumar, BS Sharma. A rare case of non-traumatic intradiploic arachnoid cyst. Neurol India. 2013 Jul-Aug; 61(4):446-7. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.117605
- K Garg, AK Mahapatra: A Rare Case of Ventricular Diverticulum in a Child with Occipital Encephalocele Pediatr Neurosurg. 2012;48(1):26-9. doi: 10.1159/000341726. Epub 2012 Aug 24
- K Garg, PK Singh, R Singla, PS Chandra, GD Satyarthee, BSharma: Armored Brain – Massive bilateral calcified chronic subdural hematoma in a patient with VP shunt. Neurol India. 2013 Sep-Oct;61(5):548-50. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.121950
- K Garg, HK Gurjar, PK Singh, PS Chandra, GD Satyarthee, B Sharma: Spontaneous rupture of hydrocephalic head. Neurol India. 2013 Sep-Oct;61(5):556-8. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.121955.
- K Garg, Mahapatra AK, Tandon V. A rare case of type 1 C split cord malformation with single dural sheath. Asian J Neurosurg. 2015 Jul-Sep;10(3):226-8. doi: 10.4103/1793-5482.161196
- K Garg, AK Mahapatra: A unique case of split cord malformation type 1 with three different types of bony spurs. Asian J Neurosurg. 2017 Apr-Jun;12(2):305-308. doi: 10.4103/1793-5482.149981.
- K Garg, PK Singh, M Singh, BS Sharma: Long segment spinal epidural extramedullary hematopoiesis. Surg Neurol Int. 2013 Dec 26;4:161. doi: 10.4103/2152-7806.123657.
- K Garg, R Kumar: Complex split cord malformation type 1 with multiple lipomas involving the split cord. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2013;49(2):121-3. doi: 10.1159/000357436
- K Garg, PK Singh, M Singh, BS Sharma: Giant craniopharyngioma: Can it grow bigger than this? Pediatr Neurosurg. 2013;49(2):124-5. doi: 10.1159/000358094
- K Garg, HK Gurjar, R Singla, GD Satyarthee, B Sharma: Inguinal Hernia-A Rare Complication of Ventricuoloperitoneal Shunt. Indian J Pediatr. 2013 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print] DOI 10.1007/s12098-013-1316-0
- K Garg, GD, Raghav Singla, PK Singh, B Sharma: Hyperplasia of cervical spinous process presenting as subcutaneous mass. Indian J Pediatr. 2013 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print] DOI 10.1007/s12098-013-1315-1
- K Garg, R Kumar: Complex Spinal dysraphism with multiple anomalies Pediatr Neurosurg. 2013;49(2):126-8. doi: 10.1159/000358095.
- K Garg, HK Gurjar, R Pasricha, GD Satyarthee, B Sharma: Craniotomy incision site metastases in a patient of metastatic breast carcinoma. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2014 Sep-Oct;80(5):471-3.
- K Garg, HK Gurjar, B Sharma: Third ventricular tuberculoma. Neurol India. 2014 Jan-Feb;62(1):73-5. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.128329
- K Garg, V Tandon, BS Sharma: Multiple Neural Tube Defect with Split Cord Malformation – A Rare Entity Indian J Pediatr. 2014 Sep;81(9):982-3. doi: 10.1007/s12098-014-1383-x. Epub 2014 Mar 18.
- K Garg, GD Satyarthee, R Singla, BS Sharma. Extensive long-segment cervicothoracic traumatic spinal epidural hematoma with avulsion of C7, C8, and T1 nerve roots. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2014 Oct;5(4):414-6. doi: 10.4103/0976-3147.140007.
- K Garg, Dash C, Kakkar A, Sharma MC, Singh PK, Sharma BS. Atypical thalamic neurocytoma: A rare neoplasm. Neurol India. 2016 Jan-Feb;64(1): 180-2.doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.173670.
- K Garg, HK Gurjar, PK Singh, BS Sharma: Can head get bigger than this? Report of a neglected case of hydrocephalous. Asian Journal of Neurosrg2014 Oct-Dec;9(4):233-4. doi: 10.4103/1793-5482.146620
- Garg K, Singh PK, Kale SS, Sharma BS. Long Segment Bony Spur in Split Cord Malformation Type Indian J Pediatr. 2017 Mar;84: 246-248.
- Koyalmantham V, Garg K, Sardana H, Singh M, Chandra PS. Holmes' tremor secondary to a posterior third ventricular germinoma: a rare case report. Childs Nerv Syst. 2017 Jun;33(6):885-887. doi: 10.1007/s00381-017-3425-y.
- Garg K, Ravi Sharma, H K Gurjar: Ponto-medullary germinoma with suprasellar and spinal metastasis- A case report and comprehensive review of literature. Neurol India. 2019 Jan-Feb;67(1):308-311. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.253629.
- Garg K, Sharma R, Dash C, Agrawal D, Sharma BS. Spinal Intradural Extramedullary Ependymoma with Intracranial Metastasis and Leptomeningeal Spread: A Case Report and Comprehensive Review of Literature. Neurol India. 2019;67(5):1352–1357. doi:10.4103/0028-3886.271269
- Garg M, Garg K, Agarwal D: Neurogenic fever in severe traumatic brain injury treated with propranolol - a case report. Neurol India. 2019 Jul-Aug;67(4):1097-1099. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.266258.
- SS Kale, S Kedia, M Singh, D Agarwal, K Garg, A Kumar. Ten-Year Outcomes of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for Vestibular Schwannomas: Single-Center Study. Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base 80 (S 01), P150
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Sharma R, Singh M, Goyal V: Pallidotomy in dystonia –Experience from a tertiary care centre in a developing country. Movement Disorder October 2018 S1-S966
- Kanwaljeet Garg, Singh M, Goyal V: Outcome following pallidotomy in children with secondary dystonia. Movement Disorder October 2019 S1-S930
- K Garg, Deepak Gupta, Noufal Basheer, Ashok Kumar Mahapatra, G D Satyarthee, Deepak Aggarwal, Sumit Sinha: Risk factor prognosticating single center outcome study of 75 cases of cervicodorsal fracture dislocations (Indian Journal of Neurotrauma 2011, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 89-92)