Dr. Vishnu V.Y
MBBS, MD, DM (Neurology)
Department of Neurology
Dr. Vishnu VY completed his under graduation (MBBS) from Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram. After his under graduation, he did the compulsory rural service at Cherpu Community Health Centre, Thrissur. Then he joined Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) for MD (Internal Medicine). He received the JIPMER Institute Gold medal for Neurology. Dr. Vishnu received neurology training (DM-Neurology) from Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh. He had worked as Assistant Professor in Neurology Department at PGIMER Chandigarh (May 2016-Nov 2016). In Nov 2016, he joined as Assistant Professor (Neurology) at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Dr. Vishnu’s field of interest in neurology are Stroke, CNS Vasculitis, Neuromuscular diseases, Neuro-ophthalmology and Cognitive neurology.
1. Patil A, Vishnu VY, Darakshan N et al. Rapidly progressive dementia: An eight year (2008-2016) retrospective study. PLoS One. 2018 Jan 18; 13(1):e0189832.
2. Aishwarya K, Vishnu VY, Hamide A. Clinical signs in hypothyroidism- myoedema and woltman sign. QJM 2017 Nov 28.
3. Vishnu VY, Modi M, Sharma S, Mohanty M, Goyal MK, Lal V, Khandelwal N, Mittal BR, Prabhakar S. Role of Plasma Clusterin in Alzheimer's Disease-A Pilot Study in a Tertiary Hospital in Northern India. PLoS One. 2016 Nov 18;11(11):e0166369. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0166369.
4. VY Vishnu, M Modi, VK Garg, M Mohanty, MK Goyal, V Lal et al. Role of inflammatory and hemostatic biomarkers in Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia− a pilot study from a tertiary centre in Northern India. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2017.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2017.04.015
5.VY Vishnu, M Modi, Gairolla J,Kumar A, M Mohanty, MK Goyal et al. Clinical, molecular imaging and biomarker concordance in the diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease and Vascular dementia AMJ. Australasian Medical Journal 10(4) May 2017.
6. Basheer A, Iqbal N, Alexander T, Vishnu VY, Stalin P, Satyaki Ganguly. Introducing a course on Evidence Based Medicine for undergraduate medical students – experience from an Indian medical school. MedEdPublish. https://doi.org/10.15694/mep.2016.000153
7. Krishnamurthy A, Vishnu VY. Russell's viper envenomation: acute hypopituitarism or acute primary adrenal insufficiency. QJM. 2017 Feb 28. doi: 10.1093/qjmed/hcx042
8. Khurana D, Vishnu VY, Vinny PW, Rishi V. Influence of a publication rotation in a neurology residency program in a developing country. Neurology. 2015 Jan 13;84(2):197-9.
9. Vy V, Goyal MK. Neurological emergencies in pregnant and post-partum women in resource-poor settings. Lancet Neurol. 2013 Apr;12(4):329-30
10.Wilon PW, Vishnu VY, Lal V. A test for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease using nasal brushings. N Engl J Med. 2014 Nov 6;371(19):1842.
11.Vinny PW, Vishnu VY, Khurana D. Endovascular therapy for ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med. 2015 Jun 11;372(24):2363-4.
12. Vishnu VY. Can tauopathy shake the amyloid cascade hypothesis? Nat Rev Neurol. 2013 Jun;9(6):356.
13. Vishnu VY. Implications of presymptomatic change in thalamus and caudate in Alzheimer's disease. Brain. 2013 Nov; 136(Pt 11):e258.
14. Vishnu VY, Kesav P, Goyal MK, Modi M, Prabhakar S. Teaching neuroimages: reversible paradoxical lithium neurotoxicity. Neurology. 2013 Oct 1;81(14):e110.
15. Kesav P, Vishnu VY, Khurana D. Is neurobrucellosis the Pandora's Box of modern medicine? Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Oct;57(7):1056-7.
16. Vishnu VY, Vinny PW, Modi M, Goyal MK. Snake eyes. Spine J. 2015 Feb 17.
17. Vishnu VY, Kattadimmal A, Rao SA, Kadhiravan T. Sporadic hypokalemic paralysis caused by osmotic diuresis in diabetes mellitus. J Clin Neurosci. 2014 Jul;21(7):1267-8.
18. Vishnu VY, Petluri G, Gupta V, Lal V, Khurana D, Goyal MK. Parkinson syndrome: a precise localization for abducens palsy. J Neurol Sci. 2014 Jan 15;336(1-2):288-9.
19. Vishnu VY, Modi M, Prabhakar S, Bhansali A, Goyal MK. "A" motor neuron disease. J Neurol Sci. 2014 Jan 15;336(1-2):251-3.
20. Kesav P, VY V, Prabhakar S. Non-trophic cutaneous ulcers in lepromatous leprosy. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Dec;89(6):1038-9.
21. Kesav P, Vy V, Prabhakar S. In response. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2014 Mar;90(3):586.
22. Kesav P, Vishnu VY, Khurana D. Fatal disseminated neurobrucellosis. QJM. 2014 Apr;107(4):321-2.
23. Kesav P, Vishnu VY, Sharma A, Khurana D. False-positive 'cord sign'. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 23;2013.
24. Vishnu VY, Kesav P, Mehta S, Prabhakar SK. A tale of two cords. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Apr 15;2013.
25. Kesav P, Vishnu VY, Lal V, Prabhakar S. Disseminated tuberculosis presenting as rapidly progressive dementia. QJM. 2014 Jan;107(1):79-80.
26. Kesav P, V Y V, Khurana D. A reversible cause of coma in epilepsy. BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Dec 13;2012.
27. Vishnu VY, Kesav P, Prabhakar S. Disseminated cysticercosis. QJM. 2013 Dec; 106(12):1141-2.
28. Gupta A, Goyal MK, Vishnu VY, Ahuja CK, Khurana D, Lal V. Bilateral medial medullary infarction: the 'heart' reveals the diagnosis. Int J Stroke. 2014 Jun;9(4):E18.
29. Vishnu VY, Ahuja CK, Lal V. Neuromyocysticercosis presenting as lateral rectus palsy. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg.,93(4), 2015, p. 677
30. Gupta A, Kumar N, Saharan R, Rastogi P, Vishnu VY, Lal V. Vertical supranuclear ophthalmoparesis: a diagnostic pearl for Niemann Pick C. Neurology. 2016 Mar 8;86(10):e108.
31. Vinny PW, Vishnu VY, Lal V. Trends in scientific publishing: Dark clouds loom large. J Neurol Sci. 2016 Apr 15;363:119-20.
32. Vishnu VY, Modi M, Goyal MK, Lal V. Linezolid Induced Reversible Peripheral Neuropathy. Am J Ther. 2016 Jan 6.
33. Vishnu VY, Ahuja CK, Lal V. Neuromyocysticercosis Causing Lateral Rectus Palsy. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015 Oct;93(4):677.
34. Vishnu VY, Chikkodi S, Singh H, Kakkar N, Modi M, Goyal MK, Lal V. Reversible Cerebellar Ataxia secondary to carcinoid tumor. Journal of Clinical Neurology. (accepted)
35. Vishnu VY. Poor Man’s Immunosuppressant in Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders: Methotrexate. JNNP online [eletter] 14 March 2013.
36. Vishnu VY, Modi M, Goyal MK, Vyas S, Lal V. Atypical imaging features in Wilson’s disease. Australasian Medical Journal 9 (10).
37. Vishnu VY, Modi M, Ahuja CK, Goyal MK, Lal V. Reversible dementia: The Imitation game. Australasian Medical Journal 9 (10).
38. Dutta TK, Diljith H, Vishnu VY, Verma SP, Charles D, Vinod KV, Basu D. Long term Outcome of splenectomy in Chronic Immune Thrombocytopenic purpura. Int.J.Hematol Res 2017 September, 3(1): 164-167.
Awards and honours
1.American Academy of Neurology Young Investigator: International scholarship award – 2015
2.David Sackett Memorial Award for Outstanding Performance at International course in Health Research methods and Evidence based medicine, St Johns Hospital in collaboration with Macmasters University,Canada
3.First Prize in group presentations at International course in Health Research methods and Evidence based medicine, St Johns Hospital in collaboration with Macmasters University,Canada
4.JIPMER Institute gold medal in Neurology-2012
5.First Rank at Kerala University level in First Professional MBBS examinations 2002
6.Indian Medical Association Gold Medal for Anatomy, Physiology & Biochemistry 2002
7.All Kerala Psychiatry Gold medal winner 2006
8.Indian Psychiatry society: Psychiatry Quiz – State level First prize and south zone third- 2004
9.Suraj Mani Memorial All Kerala Psychiatry quiz winner 2004
10.Adayar Cancer Institute – CMLQuiz – First Prize 2010
11.TYSA Young scholar award – North zone-First Prize- 2014
Chapters in books
1.Vishnu VY, Lal V. Eye in Systemic disease. ECAB Reviews in Neurology 2013 2. Vivek Lal, VY Vishnu . Vision Loss for the Internist. Medicine Update 2014.
3. Modi M, Vishnu VY. Approach to Nonarterial Ischemic Strokes- Central Nervous System Vasculitis. Differential diagnosis in Neurology
4. Khurana D, Rajan R, Vishnu VY. Cerebro-vascular involvement in neurobrucellossis and mycotic aneurysms: Neurobrucellosis: Clinical, Diagnostic & Therapeutic Features: Turgut, Haddad & de Divitiis (Eds.)
5. Lal V, Chopra JS Goyal MK, Vishnu VY. Headache in Tropics: Neurology in Tropics Second Edition