Prof. M V Padma Srivastava
MD, DM. FRCP (Edin), FAMS, F.N.A.Sc., FIAN
Professor, Head Deptt. of Neurology
Chief Neurosciences Centre, AIIMS
Hon.Professor, UCLAN, U.K.
Awarded Padma Shri by President of India
Year -28th March 2016
Office : Room No. 702, Deptt. of Neurology
C.N.Centre, AIIMS, New Delhi -110029
Landline : 011-26594794
Dr Padma Srivastava has a primary area of interest in Stroke, Vascular Dementia and Multiple Sclerosis besides actively participating in the Epilepsy Program at AIIMS. She initiated the Hyperacute Reperfusion strategies including the thrombolysis program for acute ischemic stroke at AIIMS. Christened “Code-Red”, with tissue plasminogen activator, AIIMS is the first public sector hospital to launch this program. She is also an active and founding member of the Comprehensive Epilepsy Program at AIIMS including the Epilepsy Surgery and Intractable Epilepsy Clinic. Dr Padma has organized national and international CMEs and Symposia including the Indo-US Symposium on Cerebrovascular Disorders, the V National Conference of the Indian Stroke Association and the International Stroke Update . Presently she is working on projects like Human autologous stem cell therapy in Stroke; and in Cerebral palsy, which are funded by the National scientific bodies such as Directorate of Science and Technology and Directorate of Biotechnology. Her other areas of active research interest include, role of unconventional risk factors, for stroke; role of stroke genetics; genetics in vascular dementia, comprehensive stroke rehabilitation programs and has been working on association and outcomes of Hyperhomosyteinemia in stroke, lipid profile and association with stroke and stroke subtypes; risk factor profile of stroke in India with special reference to stroke in young etc. She is the National Co-ordinator for the SITS-NEW registry for thrombolysis for stroke data from India, the National Co-ordinator for the SITS-SEARS registry with the Karolinska University and is an active member of the National Stroke Surveillance program for India, the National Stroke Registry, the National Prevention Programs for Noncommunicable Diseases of India. She is currently the President of the Indian Stroke Association. She has been the visiting professor to the Department of Neurology, UMASS, Boston. She has been the organizing committee member for the Frontiers of Science programs between India and the USA for the IUSSTF. She is on board as task force member for several programs including the FIST, under DST, Govt. of India, Neurosciences Task Force of DBT, ICMR and others. She was instrumental in formulating the India Stroke Guidelines which are now endorsed by the ISA. She is a team member of the Stroke Clinic and the Stroke Unit in AIIMS. Her other area of active research and clinical practice is Multiple Sclerosis. She is on board as the Expert Committee member for several projects and also the external examiner for DM courses in several reputed National Institutes and for the DNB in Neurology, as well as for MCI. She is also the member secretary for formulating new guidelines for the DNB Neurology curriculum by the National Boards of Examinations and is a member of the Speciality Board for Neurology by the NBE, Govt. of India. She is on editorial boards for several reputed journals. She has more than 200 publications in peer reviewed publications including journals and chapters in books. She is the recipient of the prestigious Vimla Virmani Oration, Achanta Laxmipathy Oration from NAMS, K.L.Wig Oratin from API & Fellowship from NAMS and NASI.
1. Demchuk AM, Dowlatshahi D, Rodriguez-Luna D, Molina CA, Blas YS, Dzialowski I, Kobayashi A, Boulanger JM, Lum C, Gubitz G, Padma V, Roy J, Kase CS, Kosior J, Bhatia R, Tymchuk S, Subramaniam S, Gladstone DJ, Hill MD, Aviv RI; PREDICT/Sunnybrook ICH CTA Study group. Prediction of haematoma growth and outcome in patients with intracerebral hemorrhage using the CT-angiography spot sign (PREDICT): a prospective observational study. Lancet Neurol. Apr; 11(4): 307-314; 2012. Citation index 125
2. Huynh TJ, Demchuck AM, Dowlatshahi D, Gladstone DJ, Krischek O, Kiss A, Hill MD, Milina CA, Rodriguez-Luna D, Dzialowski I, Silva Y, Czlonkowska A, Lum C, Boulanger JM, Gubitz G, Bhatia R, Padma V, Roy J, Kase CS, Aviv RI; on behalf of the PREDICT/Sunybrook ICH CTA Study Group. Spot sign number is the most important Spot sign characteristic for predicting hematoma expansion using first-pass comuted tomography angiography analysis form the PREDICT Study. Stroke Feb 26. [Epub ahead of print]; 2013. Citation index : Padma MV, Behari M, Mishra NK, Ahuja GK.Albendazole in single CT ring lesions in epilepsy. NEUROLOGY Vol. 44: No. 7: 1344-1346; 1994. Citation Index: 57
3. M.V.Padma, S. Said, M. Jacobs, D. R. Dwang, K. Dunigan, B. Christian, M. Satter, T.Bernstein, G. Krauss, J. Rupert, J. Mantil. Prediction of Pathology and survival by 18F – FDG PET in Gliomas. JOURNAL OF NEURO-ONCOLOGY, 64(3): 227-237, 2003.
Citation Index: 49.
4. A. Bhasin, Srivastava MVP, Bhatia R, Mohanty S, Kumaran, S.Stem cell therapy – A clinical trial in Stroke. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery. Nov 23 S0303 – 8467 ; 2012. (E pub ahead of print). Citation index 38
5. Vibha D, Bhatia R, Prasad K, Srivastava MV, Tripathi M, Kumar G, Singh MB. Validation of diagnostic algorithm to differentiate between tuberculous meningitis and acute bacterial meningitis. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 114(6): 639-644; 2012. Citation index 38
6. Padma MV, Behari M, Mishra NK, Ahuja GK. Albendazole in Neurocysticercosis. THE NATIONAL MEDICAL JOURN. OF INDIA. Vol. 8: No. 6: 255-257; 1995. Citation Index: 23
7. Ashu Bhasin, M.V. Padma Srivastava S. Senthil Kumaran Sujata Mohanty Rohit Bhatia Sushmita Bose Shailesh Gaikwad Ajay Garg, Balram Airan .Autologous MesenchymalStemCells in Chronic Stroke Cerebrovascular Diseases Extra; Published online: Dec., 2011. Citation index 23
8. Yadav S, Bentley P, Srivastava P, Prasad K, Sharma P. The first Indian-orgin family with genetically proven Cerebral Autosomal Dominant Arteriopathy with Subcortical Infarcts and Leukoencephalopathy (CADASIL). J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. Jan;22(1): 28 – 31; 2013. Citation index 23
9. Rha JH, Srivastava VP, WANG y, Lee KE, Ahmed N, Bluhmki E, Hermansson K, Wahlgren N; fro the SITS-NEW Investigators. Thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke with alteplase in an Asian population: results of the multicenter, multinational Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-Non-Eurpean Union World (SITS-NEW0. Int J Stroke; Sep 18.doi: 10.1111/j. 1747-4949.2012.00895 [Epub ahead of print]; 2012. Citation index 19
10. Bhasin A, Srivastava MV, Mohanty S, Kumaran SS, Bhatia R. Autologous intravenous stem cell therapy in chronic ischemic stroke. Journal of Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine. 8(3): 181-189; 2012.
11. Bhasin A, Srivastava MVP, Kumaran SS, Bhatia R, Mohanty S. Neural interface of mirror therapy in chronic stroke; a functional imaging study. Neurology India; 60(2): 570 – 576; 2012. Citation index 8
12. Zanzmera P, Padma Srivastava, Garg A, Rohit Bhatia, Singh M, Tripathi M, Prasad K. Prediction of stroke outcome in relation to Alberta Stroke Program Early CT Score ( ASPECTS) at admission in acute ischemic stroke: A prospective study from tertiary care hospital in north India. Neurology Asia, 17(2): 97-103, 2012
13. Rai NK, Chouchary R, Bhatia R, Singh MB, Tripathi M, Prasad K, Padma MV. Chlamydia pneumonia seropositivity in adults with acute ischemic stroke: A case-control study. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, 14: 93-97; 2012. Citation index 9
14. Padma MV, Singh MB, Bhatia R, Srivastava A, Tripathi M, Shukla G, Goyal V, Singh S, Prasad K, Behari M. Hyperacute thrombolysis with IV rtPA of acute ischemic stroke: Efficacy and safety profile of 54 patients at a tertiary referral center in a developing country. Neurol India. 2007 Mar;55(1):46-9. Citation Index: 6
15. Jain S, Padma MV, Puri A, Jyoti, Maheshwari MC. Occurrence of epilepsies in family members of Indian probands with different Epileptic syndromes. EPILEPSIA. Vol. 38 (2): 237- 244; 1997. Citation Index: 16
16. Padma MV, Gaikwad SB, Jain S, Mishra NK, Maheshwari MC. Distribution of vascular lesions in ischemic stroke: A Magnetic Resonance Angiographic study. NATIONAL MEDICAL JOURNAL OF INDIA.Vol. 10: 217-220; 1997. Citation Index: 5
17. Jain S, Padma MV, Kanga U, Mehra NK, Maheshwari MC. Family studies and Human Leukocyte Antigen Class II Typing in Indian Probands with Single Small Enhancing Computed Tomography Lesions. EPILEPSIA. 40(2): 232-238; 1999. Citation Index: 12
18. Puranam RS, Jain S, Kleindienst AM, Saxena S, Kim MK, Kelly Changizi B, Padma MV, Andrews L, Elston RC, Tiwari HK, McNamara JO. A locus for generalized tonic-clonic seizure susceptibility maps to chromosome 10q25-q26. Ann Neurol 58(3): 449-459, 2005. Citation Index: 6
19. Jain S, Padma MV, Kanga U, Puri A, Mehra NK, Maheshwari MC. HLA studies in Indian probands with seizures associated with single small enhancing CT lesions and types in their family members. Journal of Epilepsy Vol. 10: 55-61; 1997. Citation Index: 3
20. Pandian DJ, Padma MV, Vijaya P, Sylaja PN, Murthy MK. Stroke and thrombolysis in developing countries. International Journal of Stroke 2007; (2): 17–26.Citation Index: 4
21. Sanyal SK, Chandra PS, Gupta S, Tripathi M, Singh VP, Jain S, Padma MV, Mehta VS. Memory and intelligence outcome following surgery for intractable temporal lobe epilepsy: relationship to seizure outcome and evaluation using a customized neuropsychological battery. Epilepsy & Behavior. 6(2): 147-155; 2005. Citation Index: 7
22. Prasad K, Kumar A, Sahu JK, Srivastava MVP, Mohanty S, Bhaita R, Giakwad S, Srivastava A, Goyal V, Tripathi M, Bal CS, Mishra NK. Mobilization of stem cells using G-CSF for acute ischemic stroke: A randomized controlled pilot study. Stroke Research and Treatment; 2011. Citation index 8
23. Srivastava MVP, Bhasin A, Bhatia R, Garg, A, Gaikwad S, Prasad K, Singh MB, Tripathi M. Efficacy of minocycline in acute ischemic stroke: A single – blinded, placebo-controlled trial. Neurology India, 60(1): 23-28; 2012.
24. Srivastava MVP, Bhasin A, Mohanty S, Sharma S, Kiran U, Bal CS, Gaikwad S, Singh MB, Bhatia R, Tripathi M, Prasad K, Singh S, Srivastava A, Goyal V, Shukla G, Behari M. Restorative therapy using autologous bone marrow derived mononuclear cells infusion intra-arterially in patients with cerebral palsy: An open label feasibility study. Neurology Asia; 2011; 16(3): 231-239.
25. Srivastava MVP, Bhasin A, Bhatia R, Garg, A, Gaikwad S, Prasad K, Singh MB, Tripathi M. Efficacy of minocycline in acute ischemic stroke: A single – blinded, placebo-controlled trial. Neurology India 2012, 60(1): 23-28.