Name Anju Dhawan
Qualifications MBBS, MD Psychiatry
Field of Interest Pharmacotherapy in Addiction
Total number of publications till date - 116
Publications list (since 2004)
1. RaoRavindra, DhawanA, Sapra N (2005). Opioid maintenance therapy with Slow Release Oral Morphine (SROM) – Experience from India. Journal of Substance Use 10(5): 259-261.
2. Prasad HR, Khaitan BK, Ramam M, Sharma VK, Pandhi RK, Agarwal S, Dhawan A, Jain R, Singh MK (2005). Diagnostic Clincal features of pentazocine induced ulcers. Int J Dermatol 44(11):910.
3. Mohan D, Dhawan A, Chopra A and Sethi H (2006). A 24 week outcome following buprenorphine maintenance among opiate users in India. Journal of Substance Use, 11(6), 409-415.
4. Dhawan A, Blahara YPS, Natasha (2007). Adolescent substance abuse and suicide. J. Indian Assoc. Child Adolesc. Ment. Health, 3(2): 18-20.
5. Yadav D, Dhawan A, Rao R , Mohan Indra (2008). From the Streets to aHome: An Experiential Account of Treating Homeless substance Abusers in India. Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions, 8(1), 163-7.
6. De Shantanu, Jain R, Ray Rajat, Dhawan A, Varghese ST (2008). Assessment of Differential Doses of Buprenorphine for long Term Pharmacotherapy among opiate Dependent Subjects. Ind J Physiol Pharmacol 52: 63-73.
7. Anita Chopra, Anju Dhawan, Hem Sethi, Devinder Mohan(2008). Association between parental and offspring’s alcohol use – population data from India. Journal of Indian Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 4(2):38-43.
8. Anita Chopra, Anju Dhawan, Hem Sethi, Devinder Mohan (2008). Prevalence of Environmental smoke (ETS) exposure in households with children in Jodhpur district, India. Journal of Indian Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 4(3), 61-70.
9. Ray Rajat, Dhawan A (2010). Drug Scheduling-Science and Cultural Perspective. Addiction, 105, 1150-55.
10. Balhara YPS, Jain R, Dhawan A, Mehta M (2010). Assessment of Abuse Liability of Pheniramine among Opioid Dependent Human Subjects. Journal of Substance Use, Posted online on December 7, 2010. (doi:10.3109/14659891.2010.513753).
11. Jain Kushal, Jain R, Dhawan A (2011). Double-Blind, Double-Dummy Randomized Controlled Study of Memantine versus Buprenorphine in Naloxone Precipitated Acute Withdrawal in Heroin Addicts. Journal of Opioid Management 7(1), 11-20.
12. Yadav D, Dhawan A, Balhara YPS, Yadav S (2010). Occupational Rehabilitation of Opiate Users on Maintenance Treatment. Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions, 10 (4), 413 – 422.
13. Ray Rajat, Dhawan A (2011). Diagnostic Orphans. Addiction, 106(5), 891-892.
14. Verma R, Balhara YPS, Dhawan A (2011). Inhalant abuse: An exploratory Study. Ind Psychiatry J, 20(2): 103-106.
15. Gupta T, Shah N, Mathur VP, Dhawan A (2012). Oral health status of a group of illicit drug users in Delhi, India. Community Dent Health, 29(1): 49-54.
16. Rao RV, Ambekar A, Yadav S, Sethi H, Dhawan A (2012). Slow release oral morphine as a maintenance agent in opioid dependence syndrome: an exploratory study from India. Journal of Substance Use, 17(3), 294-300.
17. Jyotsna VP, Joshi A, Ambekar S, Kumar N, Dhawan A, Sreenivas V (2012). Comprehensive yogic breathing program improves quality of life in patients with diabetes. Indian J Endocrinol Metab, 16(3): 423-8.
18. Dhawan A, Chopra A (2013). Does buprenrophine maintenance improve the quality of life of opioid users? Indian J Med Res, 137: 130-135.
19. Ray R, Dhawan A, Chopra A (2013). Addiction Research Centres and the Nurturing of Creativity, National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre - A profile. Addiction, 108(10):1705-10.
20. Quraishi R, Pattanayak R, Jain R, Dhawan A (2013). A descriptive study of clinical, hematological, and biochemical parameters of inhalant users seeking treatment at a tertiary care center in India. Indian J Psychol Med Apr, 35(2):174-9.
21. Gupta A, Mandal P, Bhargava R, Pattanayak RD, Sagar R, Dhawan A (2014). Marked exacerbation of ADHD after onset of inhalant use: a case report. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci, 26(4):E6-7.
22. Gupta K, Ambekar A, Dhawan A, Mehta M (2014) Psychosocial Factors Associated with HIV‑Related High‑risk Injection Behavior among People Who Inject Drugs. Journal of Mental Health and Human Behaviour, 19(2): 62-68.
23. Balhara YP, Ranjan R, Dhawan A, Yadav D (2014). Experiences from a community based substance use treatment centre in an urban resettlement colony in India. J Addict, 98:20-28.
24. Ranjan R, Pattanayak RD, Dhawan A (2014). Long-term agonist and antagonist therapy for adolescent opioid dependence: a description of two cases. Indian J Psychol Med, 36(4):439-43.
25. Jyotsna VP, Dhawan A, Sreenivas V, Deepak KK, Singla R (2014). Completion report: Effect of Comprehensive Yogic Breathing program on type 2 diabetes: A randomized control trial. Indian J EndocrinolMetab, 18(4):582-4.
26. Ranjan R, Kumar S, Pattanayak RD, Dhawan A, Sagar R (2014). (De-) criminalization of attempted suicide in India: A review. Ind Psychiatry J, 23(1):4-9.
27. Bhad R, Jain R, Dhawan A, Mehta M (2014). Biochemical Assessment of Inhalant Use among Adolescents: A Pilot Study from Tertiary De-Addiction Center of India.
J Subst Abuse Alcohol, 2(3): 1021-1024.
28. Dhawan A, Chatterjee B, Balhara YPS, Bhargava R (2015). Issues in Child and adolescent substance use. Indian Journal of Psychiatry, 57(5): S186.
29. Ambekar A, Dhawan A, Lenin Singh RK, Rao R (2015). How to deliver Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) for Opioid Dependence. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 57(5): S180.
30. Dhawan A, Chopra A, Ambekar A, Ray R (2015). Treatment Seeking Behavior of Inhalant Using Street Children: Are We Prepared to Meet Their Treatment Needs. Indian J Psychol Med, 37(3): 282-287.
31. Dhawan A, Chopra A, Jain R, Yadav D, Vedamurthachar (2015). Effectiveness of yogic breathing intervention on quality of life of opioid dependent users. Int J Yoga, 8(2): 144-147.
32. Rao R, Mandal P, Gupta R, Ramshankar P, Mishra A, Ambekar A, Jhanjee S, Dhawan A (2016). Factors Affecting Drug Use During Incarceration: A Cross-Sectional Study of Opioid-Dependent Persons from India. J Subst Abuse Treat, 61: 13-17.
33. Dhawan A, Chopra A, Ray R (2016). Preference for Treatment Setting by Substance Users in India. Indian J Psychol Med, 38(1): 42-45.
34. Bhad R, Jain R, Dhawan A, Mehta M (2016). Why do young people sniff? An exploratory study of adolescent inhalant abuse from north India. Journal of Substance Use, Published online 24 Mar 2016.
35. Bhad R, Jain R, Dhawan A, Mehta M (2016). A Clinic Based Study in Treatment Seeking Adolescent Inhalant Users in India: Implications for Management. Journal of Child and Adolescent Substance Abuse, Published online 22 Sept 2016, DOI: 10.1080/1067828X.2016.1222977
36. Dhawan A, Pattanayak R , Chopra A, Tikoo VK, Kumar R (2016) Injection drug use among children and adolescents in India: Ringing the alarm bells. Ind J Psy, 58:387-93.
37. Gupta P, Mandal P, Singh D,Pattanyak R, Bhargava R, Dhawan A (2016). Detection of Optic Neuropathy and 3-month Follow-up of an Adolescent Inhalant User: Are we Paying Enough Attention? Indian J Psychol Med, 38(5): 486–488.doi: 10.4103/0253-7176.191390
38. Das M, Jain R, Dhawan A, Kaur A (2016). Assessment of abuse liability of Tramadol among experienced drug users: Double-blind crossover randomized controlled trial. J Opioid Manag, 12(6):421-430.
39. Gupta K, Ambekar A, Dhawan A, Mehta M (2017) Personality profile of alcohol and injecting opioid users: A comparative study from India. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 25: 142–146.
40. Gupta K, Dhawan A, Ambekar A, Mehta M (2016) High- Risk Sexual Behaviors in Young Men Seeking Treatment for Alcohol Dependence: A Qualitative Study Journal of Psychosocial Research, 11(1): 103-114.
CHAPTER IN BOOKS
41. Dhawan A, Kumar A (2005) Long term treatment of Opioid Dependence Syndrome. In Lal (ed) Substance Use Disorder –Manual for Physicians, pp.77-85.
42. Dhawan A, Kumar A (2005) Substance Use in Adolescents. In Lal (ed) Substance Use Disorder –Manual for Physicians, pp.174-180.
43. Dhawan A, BalharaYatan Singh (2005) Inhalant Abuse. In Hemraj Pal (ed) Case Book on Substance Use Disorder –Manual for Physicians, pp.62-65.
44. Yadav S, Dhawan A (2007). Planning Psychosocial Intervention. In Murthy P, Nikketha S.B. S. (eds) Psychosocial Interventions for Persons with Substance Use: Theory and Practice. Published by NIMHANS, developed under WHO-GOI Collaborative Programme.
45. Dhawan A, Chopra A (2009). Capacity Building in Manual on Minimum standard of care. In: BM Tripathi and A Ambekar (editors). New Delhi: Published by NDDTC, AIIMS, Collaborative Programme of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and WHO (India).
46. Ray Rajat, Dhawan A (2011) Substance Dependence: National policies and priorities. In Kulhara P, Avasthi A, Thirunavukarasu M, Grover S, Chankrabarti S (eds) Themes and issues in Contemporary Indian Psychiatry, Publication Committee, Indian Psychiatric Society, pg 70-101.
47. Dhawan A, PattanayakRamandeep (2011) Community based addiction psychiatry. In Chavan BS (ed) Textbook of Community Psychiatry (under publication).
48. Dhawan A, Deb KaushikSinha (2011). Situation update on the extent, pattern of drug abuse in street children. In A Trainers Manual on Drug Use Prevention, Treatment and Care for Street Children, Published by UNODC (ROSA).
49. Dhawan A, Prashanth R (2011). Brief orientation to medical management of drug abuse among street children. In A Trainers Manual on Drug Use Prevention, Treatment and Care for Street Children, Published by UNODC (ROSA).
50. Pattnayak R, Dhawan A (2013). Pharmacotherapy in Substance Use Disorder. In: RakeshLal, Sandhya Gupta (eds) Substance Use Disorders – Manual for Nursing Personnel, 2nd edition. New Delhi, Published by NDDTC, AIIMS, pp 25-45.
51. Dhawan A, Kumar A. Long term Pharmacotherapy of opioid dependence syndrome. In: RakeshLal (eds) Substance Use Disorders – Manual for Physicians, 2nd edition. New Delhi: Published by NDDTC, AIIMS; 2013: 77-85.
52. Dhawan A, Balhara YPS, Mohan I. Substance abuse in adolescents. In: RakeshLal (eds) Substance Use Disorders – Manual for Physicians, 2nd edition. New Delhi: Published by NDDTC, AIIMS; 2013: 191-198.
53. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Kenneth Paul Rosenberg, Anju Dhawan, AcharVedamurthachar. Meditation and Spirituality-Based Approaches for Addiction. In: Kenneth Paul Rosenberg, Laura Curtiss Feder (eds) Behavioral Addictions: Criteria, Evidence, and Treatment. UK: Published by Elsevier Inc; 2014: 343-360.
54. Renu Sharma, Mehta M, Dhawan A. Treatment of Substance Abusing Adolescents. In: Manju Mehta, Rajesh Sagar (eds) A Practical Approach to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for Adolescents, New Delhi: Published by Springer; 2014: 331-361. ISBN 978-81-322-2241-5
55. Dhawan A, Pattanyak R (2014 Clinical Practice Guidelines on Management of Inhalant Use Disorders. In: Debashish Basu, PK Dalal (eds) Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Assessment and Management of Substance Use Disorders. Published by Indian Psychiatric Society.
56. Dhawan A, Pattanyak R (2015). Synopsis of the Clinical Practice Guidelines on Management of Inhalant Use Disorders. In: PK Dalal, Debashish Basu (eds) Synopsis of the Clinical Practice Guidelines on Substance Use Disorders. Published by Indian Psychiatric Society
57. DhawanA, Jain R, Nand Kumar (2004) Proceedings of the Workshop on “Assessment of Role of Tobacco as a Gateway Substance and Information available on Evidence Relating to Tobacco, Alcohol and other Forms of Substance abuse” held in Sept, 2002, AIIMS and WHO (I), New Delhi.
58. Dhawan A, Jhanjee S (2007). Manual for long term pharmacotherapy. Published by National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre. Developed under WHO (India) and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
59. Dhawan A, Raka Jain, Chopra A (2009). Opioid Substitution- Buprenorphine in India, New Delhi: UNODC (ROSA).
60. Ray R, DhawanA, Ambekar A (2010). Manual for trainers for Opioid Substitution Therapy, draft submitted to NACO (under publication).
61. Ray R, DhawanA, Ambekar A (2010). A manual for Quality Assurance of OST in Government Health Care settings, draft submitted to NACO (under publication).
62. Ray Rajat, Dhawan A, Ambekar A, Yadav D, Chopra A (2011). Coordination & convergence of Delhi District Health Services programmes & drug use intervention for the out of school children-Final Report. Submitted under the Government of India and WHO Collaborative Programme.
63. Ray Rajat, Dhawan A, Ambekar A, Jhanjhee S, Chopra A, Malhotra S (2011). Developing a network of de-addiction services from the Government, NGO & Private sector - Final Report. Submitted under the Government of India and WHO Collaborative Programme.
64. Ray R, Dhawan A, Ambekar A, Implementing OST: A Training Manual for service providers, DFID TAST and National AIDS Control Organisation, Government of India, New Delhi 2011.
65. Yadav D, Ambekar A, Dhawan A, Aggarwal A, Mehra J, Sethi H, OST program in Government health-care settings: treatment compliance and retention, report submitted to DFID TAST and NACO, Government of India 2011.
66. Dhawan A, Mehta M. Concept of well being among children. Report submitted to WHO SEARO, 2011.
67. Report of the study on Assessment of pattern, profile and correlates of substance use among children in India. Conducted by NDDTC for the National Commission on Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), India; 2013.
68. Mohan D, Chopra A, Sethi H and Dhawan A (2004). Pattern of traditional alcohol usein general population of north east region , India. Paper presented at 30th Annual Alcohol Epidemiology conference organized by the KettilBrunn Society by A. Chopra -31st May to 4th June 2004 in Helsinki, Finland.
69. Mohan D, Chopra A, Sethi H and Dhawan A (2005). Drinking practices in Thrissur District. Paper presented at 31st Annual Alcohol Epidemiology conference organized by the KettilBrunn Society by A. Chopra –30th May to 3rd June 2005 in Riverside, California .
70. A Chopra, Dhawan A, Hem Sethi and D Mohan (2005). How prevalent is smoking and Nicotine Dependence (DSM III-R) in Jodhpur District, India. Presentation in Fourth World Assembly on Tobacco Counters Health, 5-9th December 2005.
71. A Chopra Dhawan A, Hem Sethi and D Mohan (2006). Prevalence of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) exposure in households with children in Jodhpur district, India. Presentation at World Congress on Tobacco or health from 30th May to 3rd June 2006 held in Washington, United States of America.
72. Ambekar A, Rao R, Chawla J, Dhawan A (2006).Coverage and Portrayal of HIV/AIDS in Indian Newspapers. Abstract published in proceedings of International AIDS Conference, August 2006, Canada.
73. D Mohan, A Chopra, A Dhawan And H.Sethi (2007). An association between type of beverage and risk drinking in the Indian context. Paper presented in KBS 2007 Symposium, Budapest, Hungary, 28 May-1 June 2007.
74. A Chopra, A Dhawan, Hem Sethi and D Mohan (2007). Smoking patterns of household members with children in Jodhpur district , Rajasthan (India) in WATCH 2007, 3rd to 7th December 2007, New Delhi.
75. Dhawan A., Chopra A, Jain R. (2007). Poster presentation on Buprenorphine Maintenance among Opiate Users having high risk behaviors: a 36-week outcome. Presented in the 8th International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific held on 20th to 22nd August 2007 at Colombo, Sri Lanka.
76. Varma R, Dhawan A, Agarwal A, Balhara Y, Deb KaushikSinha (2007). Inhalant abuse: Profile of patients presenting at adolescent clinic of National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre, AIIMS. Indian Journal of Psychiatry (suppl), 49, p. 26.
77. Balhara YPS, Verma R, Khushwaha V, Dhawan A, Chawla JM (2007). Duration of ward stay and compliance to treatment in substance users. Indian Journal of Psychiatry (suppl), 49, p. 27.
78. Shiva P S, Sinha P, Rao R, Dhawan A (2007). Who receives Naltrexone for maintenance therapy in Opioid dependence? A study from a National drug Dependence Treatment Centre. Indian Journal of Psychiatry (suppl), 49, 35-6.
79. Dhawan A, Chopra A, Ashish Singh, PremDutt (2008). Poster presentation on Impact of Buprenorphine Maintenance Treatment on high risk injection and sexual behaviors of opiate users. Presented in International Harm Reduction Conference in Barcelona, Spain on 11-15th May 2008.
80. Dhawan A (2008). Presentation on “Community Based Treatment of Substance Use Disorder -increased treatment seeking on 28-30 November 2008 at National Conference of the Indian Association for Social Psychiatry at AIIMS, New Delhi
81. Dhawan A. Intervention for substance use in street children. Presented in Xth Biennial conference of Indian Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health on 25th November 2009.
82. Yadav S, Dhawan A, Yadav D, Sethi D. Effect of breath, water and sound course as an adjunct intervention for opiate dependent patients. International Harm Reduction Association, 20th International Conference at Bangkok, 2009.
83. Joshi A, Ambekar S, Kumar N, Dhawan A, Sreeniwas V, Jyotsna VP. Effect of Quality of Life and Glycemic Control in patients with Diabetes Mellitus with Rhythmic breathing (Sudarshan Kriya Yoga and Pranayam) in addition to Standard Treatment of Diabetes. Changing Paradigms, 4th Diabetes India International Conference, 2011.
84. A Chopra and Dhawan A. Reality and concerns for Alcohol in Kerala (South India)- a case study using time series aggregate data. Book of abstracts of 37th Annual Alcohol Epidemiology Symposium of the KettilBruun Society, Melbourne, April 11-15, 2011.
85. Pawar A., Dhawan A., Kr A., Varshney M. Profile of patients presenting to the child and adolescent substance use clinic at a tertiary care de-addiction center. .Indian J Psychiatry. 2013; 55(5:) 42-43.
86. Kr A, Pawar A, Dhawan A. Profile of substance using women presenting to a tertiary care de-addiction facility. Indian J Psychiatry. 2013; 55(5): 79.
87. Dhawan A, Chopra A, Balhara YPS. Building National Capacity For Management Of Substance Use Disorders. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2014; 49 (suppl 1): i12 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agu052.51
88. A Dhawan, Chatterjee B, Balhara YPS, Bhargava R. Issues in Child and adolescent substance use . Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2015; 57(5): S186
89. A Ambekar, Dhawan A, Rajkumar Singh L, Rao R. How to deliver Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) for Opioid Dependence. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2015: 57(5): S180
Investigator in funded projects
Co-investigator in funded projects
Co- investigator in funded projects
Thesis supervised for MD/ PhD/DM
- as guide-7
-as co-guide (number only)-22
· Awarded membership of the Technical Resource Group of the Adolescent Health Division, MOHFW for contribution to public health strategy for adolescent health (2015-16)
· Expert involved in life skills training for Childline India
INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITIONS / ACHIEVEMENTS
· Contributed as an expert to the expert and authors meeting organized by Colombo Plan and US Department of State to the Development of Training Curricula for Service Providers to Address Child Drug Addiction on held at Washington DC for development of a module for children 2014-15(22 –24 October, 2014)
· Awarded Membership of the International Society of Addiction Medicine Education and Training Committee (2015-16)
· Member WHO Expert Committee on Development of Treatment Guidelines for Management of Drug Use in Pregnant Women (2013)
· Awarded Fogarty International Training and Research Fellowship for HIV AIDS- UCLA (2004)
· Member of the Working Group on Drug Abuse and Addiction among children constituted by NCPCR (2012)
· Member WHO Expert Committee on Drug Use and TB
Other relevant information
· Coordinated WHO Biennium activities at NDDTC AIIMS from 2004-09
· Coordinated training of General Duty Medical Officers through a programme funded by National Funds for Control of Drug Abuse (2011-15)
· Organized several national workshops on themes of national significance-Input from these workshops has gone into the Drug De-Addiction Programme of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
National Workshop to Review training programme for General Duty Medical Officers and the National De-Addiction Programme” on 27th Nov, 2003 and 28th Nov, 2003 at AIIMS (sponsored by WHO (I) and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare).
National Workshop on control of Drug Abuse and HIV Risk reduction on 10-11th August 2006 (sponsored by WHO (I) and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare)
National Workshop on Development of Policy on Drug and Alcohol Abuse Treatment on 22nd November 2007 at NDDTC, AIIMS. Sponsored by WHO (I) and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, GOI.
National Workshop -Alcohol: Revisiting the Current Situation and Planning Ahead, 14 – 15 October, 2008, Delhi, organized by WHO (I) and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
National workshop on Development of curriculum on agonist Maintenance on 11-12 November 2008, organized by WHO (I) and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Workshop on Development of Intervention for Drug Abuse among Street Children 21st January, 2009, organized by WHO (I) and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
· Reviewer of articles for National Medical Journal of India
· Reviewer of articles for Drug and Alcohol Review