Dr. Pratap Sharan
M.B.B.S., M.D., Ph.D
Field of interest: General Adult Psychiatry, Public Mental Health, Personality Disorders, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
Total number of publication till date:
Chapters in books: 15
Research Papers: 69
Details of publication from yr.2000 onwards till to date
Books (Technical [Professional] Assistance/Editor)
1. World Health Organization. Atlas 2005: Mapping Mental Health Resources in the World. Geneva: WHO, 2005.
2. World Health Organization. Child Atlas 2005: Mapping Mental Health Resources in the World. Geneva: WHO, 2005.
3. Malhotra S, Sharan P, Gupta N, Malhotra A, Gill S (Eds). Mental disorders in children and adolescents: needs and services. New Delhi, National Book Trust, 2005.
4. World Health Organization and World Federation for Mental Health. Case Studies on Initiatives in Mental Health Promotion. Geneva, WHO, 2004.
5. World Health Organization. Neurology Atlas 2004: Mapping Mental Health Resources in the World. Geneva: WHO, 2004.
6. Kulhara P, Avasthi A, Sharan P. (Eds). Affective disorders: the Indian Scene. Chandigarh: Department of Psychiatry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, 2000.
1. Saxena S, Paraje G, Sharan P, Karam G, Sadana R. The 10/90 Divide in Mental Health Research: Trends over a 10-Year Period. British Journal of Psychiatry 2006; 188: 81-82.
2. Mari JJ, Bressan RA, Almeida-Filho N, Gerolin J, Sharan P, Saxena S. Mental health research in Brazil: policies, infrastructure, financing and human resources. Rev Saude Publica 2006; 40:161-169.
3. Singh J, Mattoo SK, Sharan P, Basu D. Quality of life and its correlates in patients of dual diagnosis of bipolar affective disorder and substance dependence. Bipolar Disorder 2005; 7: 187-191.
4. Saxena S, Quinn, K, Sharan P, Naresh B, Yuantao-Hao, Power M. Cross-linguistic equivalence of WHOQOL-100: a study from North India. Quality of Life Research 2005; 14: 891-897.
5. Painuly N, Sharan P, Mattoo SK. Relationship of anger and anger attacks with depression: a brief review. European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience 2005; 255: 215-222.
6. Pradhan BT, Sharan P, Avasthi A. Comorbid dissociative, anxiety and bipolar disorders: a case report. Journal of Pakistan Psychiatric Society 2005; 2: 49-51.
7. Saxena S, Sharan P, Saraceno B. Research for change: the role of scientific journals publishing mental health research. World Psychiatry 2004; 3: 66-72.
8. Signatory to A joint statement issued by editors of scientific journals publishing mental health research,& Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, WHO, Geneva, January 2004. Galvanizing mental health research in low-and middle-income countries: role of scientific journals. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2004; 82: 226-228.
9. Chand PK, Mattoo SK, Sharan P. Quality of life and its correlates in patients with bipolar disorder stabilized on lithium prophylaxis: Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 2004; 58: 311-318.
10. Saxena S, Maulik PK, Sharan P, Levav I, SaracenoB. Mental health research on low- and middle-income countries in indexed journals: a preliminary assessment. Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics 2004; 7: 127-131.
11. Saxena S, Sharan P. Financing of mental health services: an international perspective. International Psychiatry 2004; 6: 3-5.
12. Saxena S, Sharan P. Supporting mental health research publications from low- and middle-income countries. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria 2004; 26: 73-74.
13. Saxena S, Sharan P. Enhancing mental health research publication from low- and middle-income countries. Indian Journal of Psychiatry2004; 46: 72-79.
14. Saxena S, Sharan P, Saraceno B. Budget and financing of mental health services: baseline information on 89 countries from WHO’s Project Atlas. Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics 2003; 6:135-143.
15. Saxena S, Sharan P. The endeavour to become international. British Journal of Psychiatry 2003; 183: 561.
16. Saxena S, Sharan P. Book Review. Meeting the mental health needs of developing countries: NGO innovations in India. Bulletin of World Health Organization 2003; 81: 846.
17. Singh G, Sharan P, Kulhara P. Role of coping strategies and attitudes in mediating distress due to hallucinations in schizophrenia. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 2003; 57: 517-522.
18. Singh G, Sharan P, Kulhara P. Phenomenology of hallucinations – a factor analytical approach. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 2003; 57: 333-336.
19. Avasthi A, Sharan P, Nehra R. Practicing behavioral sex therapy in India: selection, modifications, outcome, and dropout. Sexuality & Disability 2003; 21: 107-112.
20. Sharma Y, Mattoo SK, Kulhara P, Sharma SC, Sharan P. Stress and coping in women with cervical and breast cancer in India. German Journal of Psychiatry 2003; 6: 40-48. http://www.gjpsy.uni-goettingen.de.
21. Saxena S, Sharan P. Research for change: supporting mental health research in India (Editorial). National Medical Journal of India 2003; 16 (3): 122-125.
22. Singh G, Sharan P, Grover S. Obsessive slowness, a case report. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2003; 45: 60-61.
23. Avasthi A, Gupta N, Kulhara P, Sharan P, Singh G, Kaur RP, Sharma R. Seasonality in affective disorder using SPAQ. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2003; 45: 166-173.
24. Grover S, Sharma Y, Sharan P. Psycho-oncology: a review. Bengal Journal of Psychiatry 2003; 12: 17-34.
25. Singh G, Sharan P, Kulhara P. Coping with hallucinations in schizophrenia: a correlational study. Hong Kong Journal of Psychiatry 2002; 12: 5-11.
26. Singh G, Sharan P, Kulhara P. Attitudes towards hallucinations in schizophrenia. Hong Kong Journal of Psychiatry 2002; 12: 2-5.
27. Sharan P, Kulhara P, Verma SK, Mohanty M. Reliability of the ICD-10 International Personality Disorder Examination (IPDE) (Hindi version): a preliminary study. Indian Journal of Psychiatry2002, 44: 362-364.
28. Nehra R, Mohanty M, Sharan P, Gupta N, Khurana P. Assessment of psychometric properties of the Body Shape Questionnaire in a targeted population. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology 2002; 29 (1) (Accepted for publication).
29. Kumar D, Basu D, Kulhara P, Sharan P. Psychosocial correlates of psychopathology and functioning of bipolar patients stabilized on prophylactic lithium. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2001; 43: 199-204.
30. Nehra R, Mohanty M, Sharan P, Gupta N, Khurana P. Assessment of psychometric properties of the Eating Attitude Test in a targeted population. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology 2001; 28:241-245.
31. Singh B, Mittal BR, Sud K, Bhattacharya A, Sharan P, Jindal SK, Deodhar SD. Effects of lithium on glomerular filteration rate in Indian subjects – a cross-sectional study. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2000; 42: 410-414.
32. Sharan P. “Do what you must…..?” Indian Journal of Social Psychiatry 2000; 16: 10-15.
33. Sharan P, Singh G. Management of generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. Drug Bulletin 2000; 24: 1-20.
Number of funded and non funded projects along with year completed/ongoing Research Projects as Chief investigator
1. Sharan P, Kulhara P, Verma SK. Hindi adaptation of the Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI) (PGIMER Research Scheme 1996-1998).
2. Sharan P, Kulhara P, Verma SK. Hindi adaptation of the International Personality Disorder Examination (IPDE) (PGIMER Research Scheme 1997-1999).
3. Sharan P, Kulhara P. Factors affecting short-term compliance with lithium prophylaxis in bipolar patients (PGIMER Research Scheme 1998-2000).
4. Sharan P, Kulhara P, Mattoo SK. Development of an indigenous scale for assessment of personality in Hindi (PGIMER Research Scheme 1999-2001).
5. Sharan P, Avasthi A. Development of a semi-structured interview for the assessment of Dhat syndrome (PGIMER Research Scheme 2000-2002).
6. Sharan P, Kulhara P. Factor structure and norms of Hindi version of Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI) (PGIMER Research Scheme 2001-2003).
7. Sharan P, Mattoo SK. Changes in personality disorder dimensions during treatment with serotonin specific reuptake inhibitors (PGIMER Research Scheme 2002-2004).
Thesis supervised (MD/PhD)
a) Ph.D Co-guide: 1
c) MD Chief Guide: 4
d) MD Co-Guide: 9
1. Editor, Journal of Indian Association of Child and Adolescent Mental Health
2. Member, Editorial Board of Indian Journal of Psychiatry (2005-onwards)
3. Member, Editorial Board of the Journal of Mental Health and Human Behaviour (1999-2000)
4. Member, Editorial Board of Psychiatry Today (1998-2000)
5. Assessor for Research Publications of Addiction
6. Assessor for Research Publications of Psychological Reports and Motor and Perceptual Skills
7. Assessor for Research Publications of National Medical Journal of India (Indexed)
8. Assistant Secretary General, Indian Association of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (IACAM) (1995-2002)
9. Executive Member, Punjab & Chandigarh Branch of Indian Psychiatric Society (1998-2000, 2005-2007)
1. Experience in international research: In the area of international public health, at World Health Organization, involved in research on mental health resources in all countries of the world and on mental health research infrastructure of selected low- and middle-income countries. Also carried out a systematic search on epidemiology of mental disorders in low- and middle-income countries and research on geographical distribution of mental health research publications. The project on mental health resources and mental health research infrastructure led to strengthening service delivery and research systems in a few countries. The project on mental health publications led to the development of an Editor’s group, which in conjunction with WHO is now making active efforts to support researchers and journals in low- and middle-income countries to find increased international acceptance
Won 3 National Awards: Poona Psychiatric Association – I (PPA-I) Award and the Marfatia Award of the Indian Psychiatric Social Psychiatry.