Dr. Seema Sood
Professor, Department of Microbiology
Dr. Seema Sood is currently working towards introducing novel technologies for the diagnosis of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) which includes development of a DNA Biosensor based detection system for Neisseria gonorrhoeae in collaboration with NPL, New Delhi (with financial assistance from DBT). The second phase of our work in now in progress. The Project entitled “Nanoenabled Biosensor for detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae” funded by DBT (2016-19) is a collaborative work between AIIMS and DTU and brings together a team of physicists, biochemists, microbiologists, biomedical engineers and biotechnologists for development of Point of Care Test (POCT) for this STD.
Developed and validated an In-house PCR for gonorrhoea. GenBank: PUID 9716120; snum 2706 and PUID 9716119; snum 2705 respectively. PCR available for diagnosis of gonorrhoea and genital chlamydia. Culture facilities available for N. gonorrhoeae along with antimicrobial susceptibility testing & T. vaginalis.
Research on various modern day technologies, e.g., LAMP, Aptamers etc. is in progress with the aim to develop POCT for other bacterial STIs.
Dr. Sood has also established a National Network for the surveillance of AMR for Neisseria gonorrhoeae with centers across India with financial assistance from ICMR. Work on genetic characterization of resistance & molecular surveillance approaches is currently in progress. Our laboratory has been participating in the EQAS programme of WHO GASP since 2005.
In addition to the STD Laboratory, Dr. Sood has been working in the General Bacteriology Division where her areas of interest include enteric fever, ICU Infections particularly, VAP.
- MEMBER of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS)-India.
- ICMR Lala Ram Chand Kandhari Award for Research in the field of Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases- 2016
- Dr. P.S. Ranganathan Memorial Prize- GOLD MEDAL-2013
- R.A. Bhujwala Award-2012
Publications: 90 research papers, 2 chapters in book and one Text Book (sole author)
Text Book:“Microbiology for Nurses” published by ELSEVIER (3rd ed.- 2013)
Few Research Papers
1. Singh R, Verma R, Kaushik A, Sumana G, Sood S, Gupta RK and Malhotra B D. Chitosan-Iron Oxide Nanocomposite Platform for Mismatch-Discriminating DNA Hybridization for Neisseria gonorrhoeae detection causing Sexually Transmitted Disease. Biosensor & Bioelectronics, 2011; 26: 2967-74.
2. Verma R, Sood S, Bala M, Mahajan N, Kapil A, Sharma VK, Panday RM & Samantaray JC. Evaluation of an opa-gene based nucleic acid amplification test for detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in urogenital samples in North India. Epidemiol Infect, 2012; 140: 2110-16.
3. Bala M, Kakran M, Singh V, Sood S, V Ramesh and Members of the WHO GASP SEAR Network. Monitoring antimicrobial resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae in selected countries of the WHO South-East Asia Region between 2009 and 2012: a retrospective analysis. Sex Transm Infect 2013; 89: iv28–iv35.
4. Verma R, Sood S, Singh R, Sumana G, Manju Bala, Sharma VK, Samantaray JC, Pandey RM & Malhotra BD. Coupling electrochemical response of a DNA biosensor with PCR for N. gonorrhoeae detection. Diag Microbiol Infect Dis 2014; 78: 16–23.
5. Mahajan N, Sood S, Singh R, Kapil A, Das BK, Sreenivas V, Kar HK & Sharma VK. Antimicrobial resistance and NG-MAST profile of Neisseria gonorrhoeae in New Delhi, India. Sex Transm Dis, 2016 Aug;43(8):506-16.