Puneet Misra, MD, MPH (USA), PGDHHM, FIPHA, FIAPSM
Room Number: 35
Centre For Community Medicine
AIIMS, New Delhi - 110029
+91 (11) 26593773 (Direct)
+91(11) 26593233 (Office)+91-9868397372 (Cell)
Research and Field Area office
Research and Field Area office
Civil HospitalBallabgarh, Faridabad - 121004
Dr. Puneet Misra is Professor of Community Medicine at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences. He has done his residency in Preventive Medicine. He has over twenty years of experience as Physician, Researcher, Teacher, Epidemiologist and Public Health professional. He has rich experience of research and academics at various institutions in India and abroad. He has served as a member of the Executive Committee of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine (IAPSM) for many years and was National President of IAPSM for year 2013-14 as the youngest president of organisation ever.
- Fellow Indian Public Health Association
- Fellow Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine
- Member of the Technical Resource Group for the Adolescent Health Division of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt of India.
- Co Chair and Member of Program Advisory Council, Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Member – Regional Institute Central Zone for HIV Sentinel Surveillance, NACO, Govt Of India, responsible for HSS activity in five states of India for technical support and quality control.
- Team member of Consensus Development for Cut-offs of Measures of Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome, Physical activity for Asian Indians.
- Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes, Psychological health, Injury Prevention
- Life style interventions including Yoga
- Adolescent health, Reproductive and sexual Health, HIV Surveillance
- Family Medicine
- Health administration
Peer-reviewed publications in last 3 years
- Majumdar A, Misra P, Sharma S, Kant S, Krishnan A, et al. Prevalence of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in an adult population in a rural community of Haryana, India. Indian J Public Health. 2016 Jan-Mar;60(1):26-33. PubMed PMID: 26911214.
- Krishnan A, Amarchand R, Gupta V, Lafond KE, Suliankatchi RA, Saha S, Rai S, Misra P, Purakayastha DR, Wahi A, et al. Epidemiology of acute respiratory infections in children - preliminary results of a cohort in a rural north Indian community. BMC Infect Dis. 2015 Oct 26;15:462. doi: 10.1186/s12879-015-1188-1. PubMed PMID: 26502931; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4624162
- Lohiya A, Kant S, Kapil A, Gupta SK, Misra P, Rai SK. Pattern of Antibiotic Resistance Among Community Derived Isolates of Enterobacteriaceae Using Urine Sample: A Study From Northern India. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Jul;9(7):LC15-9. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2015/14230.6254. Epub 2015 Jul 1. PubMed PMID: 26393150; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4572981
- Rai SK, Gupta A, Srivastava R, Bairwa M, Misra P, et al. Decadal transition of adult mortality pattern at Ballabgarh HDSS: evidence from verbal autopsy data. BMC Public Health. 2015 Aug 14;15(1):781. PubMed PMID: 26271623; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4536602.
- Kant S, Srivastava R, Rai SK, Misra P, Charlette L, et al. Induced abortion in villages of Ballabgarh HDSS: rates, trends, causes and determinants. Reprod Health. 2015 May 29;12:51. PubMed PMID: 26021473; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4460773.
- Abdulkader RS, Goswami K, Rai SK, Misra P, Kant S. HIV-Risk Behavior Among the Male Migrant Factory Workers in a North Indian City. Indian J Community Med. 2015 Apr-Jun;40(2):108-15. PubMed PMID: 25861172; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4389497.
- Jamir L, Kalaivani M, Nongkynrih B, Misra P, Gupta SK. Anthropometric characteristics and undernutrition among older persons in a rural area of northern India. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2015 Mar;27(2):NP2246-58. PubMed PMID: 23728770.
- Majumdar A, Kar SS, S GK, Palanivel C, Misra P. mHealth in the Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases in India: Current Possibilities and the Way Forward. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Feb;9(2):LE06-10. PubMed PMID: 25859473; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4378755.
- Abdulkader RS, Kant S, Rai SK, Goswami K, Misra P. Prevalence and determinants of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among male migrant factory workers in Haryana, North India. Indian J Public Health. 2015 Jan-Mar;59(1):30-6. PubMed PMID: 25758728.
- Kant S, Haldar P, Pandav CS, Misra P, Rai S. Making a postgraduate journal club an effective learning opportunity: Experience from the Centre for Community Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. Natl Med J India. 2014 Nov-Dec;27(6):329-31. PubMed PMID: 26133332.
- Rizwan SA, Kant S, Goswami K, Rai SK, Misra P. Authors' reply. J Postgrad Med. 2014 Oct-Dec;60(4):416-7. PubMed PMID: 25528788.
- Rizwan SA, Kant S, Goswami K, Rai SK, Misra P. Correlates of Intention to Use Condom among Male Migrant Factory Workers in Northern India. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014 Aug;8(8):JC05-8. PubMed PMID: 25302221; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4190743.
- Misra P, Upadhyay RP, Krishnan A, Sharma N, Kapoor SK. A community based study to test the reliability and validity of physical activity measurement techniques. Int J Prev Med. 2014 Aug;5(8):952-9. PubMed PMID: 25489442; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4258675.
- Silan V, Kant S, Archana S, Misra P, Rizwan S. Determinants of underutilisation of free delivery services in an area with high institutional delivery rate: a qualitative study. N Am J Med Sci. 2014 Jul;6(7):315-20. PubMed PMID: 25077079; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4114008.
- Rizwan SA, Kant S, Goswami K, Rai SK, Misra P. Influence of alcohol on condom use pattern during non-spousal sexual encounter in male migrant workers in north India. J Postgrad Med. 2014 Jul-Sep;60(3):276-81. PubMed PMID: 25121367.
- Krishnan A, Misra P, Rai SK, Gupta SK, Pandav CS. Teaching community medicine to medical undergraduates-learning by doing: our experience of rural posting at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. Natl Med J India. 2014 May-Jun;27(3):152-8. PubMed PMID: 25668088.
- Streatfield PK, Khan WA, Bhuiya A, Hanifi SM, Alam N, et al. Cause-specific childhood mortality in Africa and Asia: evidence from INDEPTH health and demographic surveillance system sites. Glob Health Action. 2014;7:25363. PubMed PMID: 25377325; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4220125.
- Streatfield PK, Khan WA, Bhuiya A, Hanifi SM, Alam N, et al. Adult non-communicable disease mortality in Africa and Asia: evidence from INDEPTH Health and Demographic Surveillance System sites. Glob Health Action. 2014;7:25365. PubMed PMID: 25377326; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4220128.
- Streatfield PK, Khan WA, Bhuiya A, Hanifi SM, Alam N, et al. Mortality from external causes in Africa and Asia: evidence from INDEPTH Health and Demographic Surveillance System Sites. Glob Health Action. 2014;7:25366. PubMed PMID: 25377327; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4220124.
- Streatfield PK, Khan WA, Bhuiya A, Hanifi SM, Alam N, et al. Malaria mortality in Africa and Asia: evidence from INDEPTH health and demographic surveillance system sites. Glob Health Action. 2014;7:25369. PubMed PMID: 25377329; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4220130.
- Rai SK, Kant S, Misra P, Srivastava R, Pandav CS. Cause of death during 2009-2012, using a probabilistic model (InterVA-4): an experience from Ballabgarh Health and Demographic Surveillance System in India. Glob Health Action. 2014;7:25573. PubMed PMID: 25377339; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4220166.
- Misra P, Upadhyay RP, Sharma V, Anand K, Gupta V. A community-based study of menstrual hygiene practices and willingness to pay for sanitary napkins among women of a rural community in northern India. Natl Med J India. 2013 Nov-Dec;26(6):335-7. PubMed PMID: 25073990.
- Upadhyay RP, Misra P, Chellaiyan VG, Das TK, Adhikary M, et al. Burden of diabetes mellitus and prediabetes in tribal population of India: a systematic review. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2013 Oct;102(1):1-7. PubMed PMID: 23876547.
- Silan V, Kant S, Haldar P, Goswami K, Rai SK, et al. HIV Risk Behavior Among Men Who Have Sex with Men. N Am J Med Sci. 2013 Sep;5(9):515-22. PubMed PMID: 24251268; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3818823.
- Kant S, Misra P, Gupta S, Goswami K, Krishnan A, et al. The Ballabgarh Health and Demographic Surveillance System (CRHSP-AIIMS). Int J Epidemiol. 2013 Jun;42(3):758-68. PubMed PMID: 23620380.
- Palanivel C, Yadav K, Gupta V, Rai SK, Misra P, et al. Causes of death in rural adult population of North India (2002-2007), using verbal autopsy tool. Indian J Public Health. 2013 Apr-Jun;57(2):78-83. PubMed PMID: 23873194.
- Pandey RM, Gupta R, Misra A, Misra P, Singh V, et al. Determinants of urban-rural differences in cardiovascular risk factors in middle-aged women in India: a cross-sectional study. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Feb 20;163(2):157-62. PubMed PMID: 21880382.
- Sinha S, Misra P, Kant S, Krishnan A, Nongkynrih B, et al. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and its selected determinants among urban adult women in South Delhi, India. Postgrad Med J. 2013 Feb;89(1048):68-72. PubMed PMID: 23112218.
- Pandey RM, Agrawal A, Misra A, Vikram NK, Misra P, et al. Population-based intervention for cardiovascular diseases related knowledge and behaviours in Asian Indian women. Indian Heart J. 2013 Jan-Feb;65(1):40-7. PubMed PMID: 23438611; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3860769.
- Salve H, Kharya P, Misra P, Rai SK, Kant S. Psychiatric morbidity at secondary level health facility in Ballabgarh, Haryana. Ind Psychiatry J. 2013 Jan;22(1):86-8. PubMed PMID: 24459382; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3895321.
Xirasagar, S., Misra, Puneet. Global health and Health Systems, India’s Health System, in Johnson, J.A. and Stoskopf C.H. (Editors) Comparative Health Systems, global Perspective. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, Boston, MA. – published 2009, pages 237-258
Research projects as PI or Co investigator in last 3 years
- Principal Investigator – Prevalence and associated risk factors of complications in diabetes patients of a rural community of Ballabgarh.
- Principal Investigator - Prevention of type 2 diabetes in women with prediabetes using vitamin D supplementation and lifestyle intervention in North India (PREVENT-WIN Study)
- Principal Investigator - Adherence to the treatment amongst patients with Hypertension & Diabetes Mellitus in rural Haryana: Community based study
- Principal Investigator – A phase III study to evaluate immune non inferiority and safety of the All in One liquid formulation of a live attenuated tetravalent (G1-G4) Bovine-Human Reassortant Rotavirus Vaccine (BRV-TV) to a licensed vaccine RotaTeq when administered as three dose series to Indian infants concomitantly with other routinely recommended vaccines for the age.
- Co Investigator - Depressive and Anxiety Disorders in the Postpartum Period: Prevalence, Psycho-Social Correlates and Effect on Mother-Infant Bonding
- Co Investigator-Survival analysis of PLHA with adult and paediatric HIV progression model, under phase I, National HIV / AIDS Research Plan of NACP IV.
- Co Investigator- Operational research trainings project funded by ICMR,
- Co Investigator- Australia India Trauma Systems Collaboration Project
- Co Investigator -Situational Analysis of Burn patients in selected district of country
- Co Investigator - Epidemiological study of Respiratory Pathogens in Acute Respiratory Tract Infection among Children and Elderly in India. (CDC Atlanta)
- Co Investigator - Influenza Immunization of Children in India (UAB and CDC)
- Guide and co guide in more than 15 MD Thesis at AIIMS