Introduction Last Updated:11/7/11
Urology as a distinct specialty was initiated at AIIMS with the creation of a Urology Clinic in the Department of Surgery in the year 1958. In 1963, a separate department of Urology was created with Dr. Sarinder Man Singh’s appointment as Associate Professor and Head of Urology and Dr. B.C. Bapna’s appointment as Assistant Professor.
The Department is dedicated to the teaching and training of Urology of the highest standard. The M.Ch. training program was started in the year 1966 and, since then, over 100 postgraduates have been trained and they now occupy various important chairs in India and abroad. The post-graduate training program of the department has 11 positions, 8 posts of regular senior residents and 3 posts for sponsored candidates from the armed forces as well as Governmental and autonomous bodies from all over India. The MCh training program lasts for 3 years with periodic assessment before the final MCh examination. Admission is based on a competitive entrance examination.
The Department is fully equipped with the latest technology such as Endourological surgery (TUR, PCNL and URS (1989), ESWL (1987), Urodynamics, Ultrasound, Lasers, Microsurgery, Laparoscopic surgery (1992) and Robotic surgery (March 2005). State of the art medical care is provided for a variety of urological ailments and it serves as a referral center for complicated problems for patients in North India, Bihar, Orissa, Assam and neighboring countries like Nepal, Afghanistan, Bhutan etc. The out-patients clinic is attended by over 35000 patients annually including close to 12000 new cases. The department conducts over 2000 major surgeries annually